The apartment building that caught fire in Carrboro on Monday evening has been condemned.

Officials said in an update on Tuesday afternoon that 21 units are affected by the decision. The cause of the fire has been ruled as accidental and the point of origin has been determined to be an exhaust fan.

The building did not have residential fire sprinklers, according to a release.

The total dollar loss of the building has been estimated at $500,000.

Carrboro Fire-Rescue was dispatched to the fire at The Villages of Chapel Hill on Smith Level Road just after 5 p.m. Monday and additional departments responded to the blaze as flames were visible through the building’s roof.

Officials said Monday night that 16 apartments were affected – eight with heavy fire damage and eight with smoke and water damage.

The American Red Cross has been working with the displaced residents.

No injuries were reported due to the fire.

Photo via Mike Benson