Orange County authorities have arrested a suspect who is accused of sexually abusing a child who was spending the night at a friend’s house.
Officials from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said in a release that 43-year-old Reyes Rivera-Zapata was arrested on Friday and charged with one count of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree statutory sex offense and two counts of indecent liberties with a minor.
“The survivor in this case is a 10-year old who was victimized while spending the night at a friend’s house,” according to law enforcement.
The child victim told another friend about the instance, setting off a series of conversations with that child’s parents, school officials and then law enforcement to begin the investigation.
“The offenses occurred on more than one occasion,” according to the press release.
Orange County Sheriff’s Office investigator Zachary Baldwin said in the release that the concern for the child is the first priority in a case like this. Law enforcement conducted a Child Medical Exam, according to Badlwin, to “help us minimize the number of times a child is asked to talk about what happened because we know that telling and re-telling about such events causes additional trauma.”
Rivera-Zapata was initially held under a $100,000 bond and was released after a bail agent posted that bond on June 8. He made his first appearance in Orange County Court Monday afternoon and was placed under the supervision of the pre-trial release program, authorities said.
He is due back in court later this month.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to call the Orange County Sheriff’s Office at (919) 245-2900 or Investigator Baldwin at (919) 245-2939.
Photo via Orange County Sheriff’s Office
Related Stories
‹

Authorities Asking for Help Identifying Woman in 1990 Orange County Homicide InvestigationOrange County authorities are renewing the call for information on a murder case 29 years after a body was discovered in the county. A work crew found the body of a young woman near the exit for New Hope Road on I-40 on September 19, 1990. The initial investigation found the woman had been dead […]

Home Security Camera Leads to Orange County Breaking and Entering ArrestHome security footage has led to the arrest of a suspect in connection with a breaking and entering in Orange County. Authorities said a suspect broke into a home on Oakview Court on May 20 and set off the home security alarm. The suspect “left quickly without taking anything,” law enforcement officials said Tuesday. But […]

Federal Judge Sentences Orange County Man on Drug, Gun ChargesAn Orange County man has been sentenced to 28 years in prison by a federal judge this week on a series of drug and firearm charges. Federal officials said in a release that 38-year-old Roderick Lamar Sanford, of Cedar Grove, was sentenced on Tuesday after a guilty plea last August on charges of conspiracy to […]

DNA Technology Helps Solve 20-Year-Old Orange County Murder MysteryThe body of a 10-year-old boy found more than 20 years ago by a mowing crew under a billboard on I-85 in Orange County has been identified. The Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday that the latest DNA technology helped authorities identify the child as Robert “Bobby” Adam Whitt. The case file box has been […]
![]()
In Orange County and Across the Nation, Heroin Use is on the RiseA new report from the Centers for Disease Control shows heroin use is on the rise across the nation. That’s true in Orange County too. A recent undercover drug operation by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office netted nearly 700 doses of heroin. Narcotics Investigator Brandon Wilkerson says he wasn’t surprised. “It’s really not new; it’s […]
![]()
Three Candidates Announce Intention To Run For SheriffOrange County Sheriff, Lindy Pendergrass, will not be running for re-election in 2014 and three candidates have announced their intention to run for the position.
![]()
Dale Edwards on The News of Orange County's Top Summer Stories – On Air Today (August 19, 2026)Dale Edwards, the managing editor for the News of Orange County, speaks with 97.9 The Hill's Brighton McConnell on Wednesday, August 19.

NCDOT Installing All-Way Stop at Rural Orange County IntersectionCrews from the North Carolina Department of Transportation will install an all-way stop at the intersection of North Carolina Highway 157 and New Sharon Church Road in northern Orange County. The installation is expected to take place Wednesday, Aug. 26 at the rural intersection, located northeast of Hillsborough. In a release, the NCDOT says it […]
![]()
The Morning News: Mark Chilton Retiring, UNC ReturningIn today's news: longtime Orange County Register of Deeds Mark Chilton announces he's stepping down, a few months before the end of his term.

After 12 Years, Mark Chilton Stepping Down Early as Orange County Register of DeedsOrange County Register of Deeds Mark Chilton announced Thursday that he's stepping down, a few months before his term was set to expire.
›