A local hotel was evacuated earlier today due to a gas alarm that triggered a response from the Carrboro Fire Department.

That alarm prompted the evacuation of the Hampton Inn on East Main Street at approximately 3:45 PM.

According to Fire Chief Susanna Williams, a gas leak in the boiler room of the hotel was the cause of the alarm.

Following the evacuation, firefighters worked with hotel staff members to shut off the boiler and ventilate the area.

The hotel was cleared by the department to resume with normal operations shortly after 5:45 PM.

Williams stated that she sincerely appreciated the cooperation of hotel patrons while the leak was being investigated.

Image by Hampton Inn.