****UPDATE: UNC has shared additional information on Monday, March 9, regarding its restrictions on travel due to the outbreak of coronavirus.****
In a message shared with the UNC community on Monday evening, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said the university is prohibiting University-affiliated travel to Level 2 countries. This includes Japan, where the country is experiencing a sustained outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
Anyone traveling from a Level 2 or 3 country is asked to self-quarantine off campus for 14 days.
Additionally, the university is preparing for classes to be delivered remotely if necessary.
As more confirmed cases of the coronavirus known as COVID-19 appear in the United States and spring break kicks off, UNC is taking precautions by requiring campus community members to self-quarantine themselves depending on where they travel.
Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz issued a message to UNC students, faculty and staff on Thursday morning, providing an update to the university’s response to the ongoing spread of COVID-19. In it, he said the university is following CDC guidelines by asking anyone who travels to countries experiencing higher numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases to self-quarantine for 14 days off campus upon their return.
In addition, those who travel to areas within the U.S. that have declared states of emergency due to an outbreak of COVID-19 may also be subject to the two-week period off of campus. The university strongly discouraged personal travel to California, Florida and Washington.
“We did not come to these decisions lightly,” Guskiewicz said in the release, “and did so with the health and well-being of our entire community in mind, while also following federal and state guidelines.”
The message also reminded the campus community that advisories are subject to change over the next week. Those who travel domestically or internationally face the risk of being in an area that gets increased to a Level 3 by the CDC, which recommends avoiding nonessential travel. Guskiewicz said in the release that community members who are in an area that gets updated to Level 3 will be subject to the two-week self-quarantine as well.
The chancellor also said university-related travel to U.S. cities experiencing a coronavirus outbreak has also been restricted. UNC previously banned all university-related travel to China, South Korea, Iran and Italy, the countries reporting the most confirmed cases of the new virus. Study abroad programs in South Korea and Italy have since been cancelled as well.
“We know that this is a stressful time for many of you,” said Guskiewicz. “For students, these restrictions may disrupt your educational opportunities and plans for this semester. For faculty and staff, we know that these restrictions will also impact your plans to teach, conduct scholarship and facilitate the important business of our University.”
The university has created a website dedicated to the ongoing outbreak and how it affects the campus community. It also established a hotline for people who have questions about its current guidelines, which can be reached at 919-445-5000.
Related Stories
‹

COVID-19 Cluster Reported at UNC's Avery Residence HallUNC has identified a cluster of COVID-19 cases at Avery Residence Hall on campus. This is the second COVID-19 cluster identified at UNC in 2021 and the first since the spring semester began on January 19. Earlier this month, a cluster was identified at Carmichael Residence Hall between students who lived on campus during winter […]

UNC Announces Calendar for Spring 2021 Semester, Delays Start by 2 WeeksUNC has announced its calendar for the spring 2021 semester amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which will include a delayed start. “We have been carefully listening to the voices of our community as we consider the important lessons learned from planning for the fall and prepare to make updates to our Roadmap to offer classes […]

UNC: New COVID-19 Cluster at Rams Village, 13th Reported on CampusUNC has notified the campus community of another COVID-19 cluster on campus, this time at Rams Village Building #5. This is the 13th COVID-19 cluster reported on the university’s campus. A cluster is five or more positive COVID-19 cases, according to North Carolina Health and Human Services. Officials said the individuals in the cluster have been identified and […]

UNC Reports New COVID-19 Cluster at Residence Hall, 12th on CampusUNC has notified the campus community of another COVID-19 cluster on campus, this time at Cobb residence hall. This is the 12th COVID-19 cluster reported on the university’s campus. A cluster is five or more positive COVID-19 cases, according to North Carolina Health and Human Services. Officials said the individuals in the cluster have been identified and are […]

New COVID-19 Cluster Identified at UNC Residence Hall, 11th on CampusA new COVID-19 cluster has been identified at Koury residence hall on UNC’s campus on Tuesday afternoon. An AlertCarolina message said “the individuals in this cluster have been identified and are isolating and receiving medical monitoring.” A cluster is five or more positive COVID-19 cases, according to state health guidelines. !Alert Carolina! Emergency Notification: Cluster of COVID-19 […]

Coronavirus at UNC: A TimelineUNC is one of the first major universities to move back to remote instruction this fall after attempting to hold in-person instruction amid the COVID-19 pandemic. What happened between the last time in-person instruction was held and when UNC students were asked to leave the Chapel Hill campus once again? Chapelboro’s extensive reporting laid out […]

UNC Athletics Resumes Activities Following Temporary SuspensionUNC Athletics announced over the weekend that teams will resume athletic activities in the coming days. Men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer and volleyball will resume activities on Sunday. Meanwhile, football has opted to return to practice on Monday. Other winter and spring sports will continue to pause […]

UNC to Pause Classes, Reports More Than 90 COVID-19 Cases in 1 DayUNC has paused undergraduate classes on Monday and Tuesday of next week as students transition to virtual learning for the remainder of the fall semester. In a message to the campus community, UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said the university made the decision to allow students to “catch their breath” amid the coronavirus pandemic. “To our […]

UNC Athletics 'Expecting to Play This Fall' Despite University's Transition to Virtual ClassesAmid the news that UNC will transition to virtual classes for the fall semester, Carolina Athletics has released a statement saying they “still are expecting to play this fall.” On Monday, the university announced that it will move undergraduate courses online after 130 students tested positive for coronavirus in the first week of classes. Of the […]

135 New COVID-19 Cases Prompt UNC to Return to Remote LearningUNC leadership announced the university will move to a remote learning model starting Wednesday, August 19, due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19. Undergraduate courses will be shifted online in an effort “greatly reduce” residence hall occupancy, the university said in a message to campus community. This is the second time the coronavirus pandemic has […]
›