The second suspect accused in the Christmas Day 2015 shooting death of 1-year-old Maleah Williams entered a guilty plea in Orange County Court on Tuesday.
Pierre Je Bron Moore pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, discharged a weapon into occupied property, possession of a firearm by a felon and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, according to prosecutors.
Assistant district attorney Jeff Nieman said the plea deal will result in Moore serving between 336 and 416 months, which is a minimum of 28 years.
Moore was accused along with Ramone Jamarr Alston of shooting into a crowd outside a Chapel Hill apartment complex on Christmas Day 2015. A bullet struck Maleah Williams, and the infant died three days later.
Alston was found guilty of first-degree murder in a trial that took place in May 2018.
Nieman said at the time of Alston’s trial that this was a “tragic case of a cycle of violence that didn’t end until it took the life of the most innocent person imaginable.”
The “cycle of violence,” as Nieman called it last year, dated back to June 2014, when Nieman said that Alston’s home was broken into three times that month, with the suspects allegedly holding Alston, his girlfriend, their child and Alston’s mother at gunpoint.
On the day of the shooting, a fight broke out between two individuals – identified as Shaquille Davis and Jaylen McNair – at Trinity Court Apartments, Nieman told the jury during Alston’s trial. That ended with McNair allegedly taking money and marijuana from Davis. At that point, Davis told McNair, “I’m getting you back,” the prosecutor said.
Davis then allegedly met Alston and Moore at an apartment complex. There, according to prosecutors, a plan was hatched to go back to Trinity Court and “get” McNair. Nieman said that Alston also believed that McNair was one of the individuals who had broken into his home the previous year.
Davis was the first suspect charged in the shooting death of Williams, but those charges were dropped.
Several hours after the fight on Christmas Day 2015, a vehicle allegedly being driven by Alston drove down the small road in front of Trinity Court, where approximately 20 people – eight of whom were children – were outside. The vehicle then stopped when nearing the exit of the apartment complex, the passenger got out of the vehicle and fired shots into the crowd, according to the prosecution.
“One of those bullets tore through the head of Maleah Williams,” Nieman said.
Nieman said on Tuesday that Williams’ mother had been consulted throughout the process regarding the possibility of a plea arrangement and had agreed with the parameters.
Barring an appellate court ordering a re-trial for Alston, Nieman said the district attorney’s office now considered this case closed.
Ramone Jamarr Alston (left) and Pierre Je Bron Moore (right). Photos via Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
Related Stories
‹

Orange County Traffic Stop Leads to Guns, Narcotics ChargesAn Orange County traffic stop lead to multiple charges, including drug and weapons violation. Jovani Fabian was stopped on US 70 near Seven Springs Road east of Hillsborough early Wednesday morning, according to a release, when the 20-year-old was allegedly driving 77 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. Deputies with the Orange County […]

Orange County Sheriff's Office Announces Arrest in 25-Plus Break-InsOrange County authorities have arrested a man suspected in more than 25 break-ins across five counties. Investigators with the Orange and Durham county sheriff’s offices and members of the Durham Police Department located and arrested 31-year-old Leron Kelly Owens around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to a release from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. Owens was […]

Orange County Drug Operation Nets 32 ArrestsA drug operation that spanned the last four months has netted 32 arrests in Orange County. A release from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said the operation “targeted the full range of distribution occurring within the County from the street level up to Mexican cartel sourced drugs.” Investigators seized more than 5,500 grams of cocaine, […]

2 Narcotics Investigations Lead to 4 Arrests in Orange CountyTwo separate narcotics investigations led to the arrest of four individuals in Orange County on Wednesday. Authorities said in a release on Friday that 35-year-old Joseph Lee Cotton, of Old Sawmill Road in Chapel Hill, was arrested Wednesday and charged with nine counts of trafficking in opiates and maintaining a vehicle for controlled substances. As […]
![]()
Orange County Sheriff's Office Seizes 13 Firearms, 90 Grams of Cocaine in SearchA search of an Orange County residence has led to an arrest and the seizure of more than a dozen firearms, including semi-automatic assault rifles, and over 90 grams of cocaine. A release from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office says a search warrant was executed in the 2500 block of Highway 86 in Hillsborough on […]
![]()
Authorities Arrest Suspect in Series of Orange County BurglariesAfter a short foot chase, a suspect in a series of burglaries in Orange and Durham counties was arrested on Thursday. Authorities say deputies from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office were called to “several residential burglaries in the northeast part of the county” on Friday, June 2. Montre Cates, of Durham, was identified as a […]
![]()
Hillsborough Man Charged in String of Residential Break-InsA Hillsborough man has been charged in connection with four residential break-ins in Orange and Durham Counties. Officials say Jonas Brian West, of 1720 Palmers Grove Church Road in Hillsborough, was arrested on June 24 and charged with three residential breaking and entering reports in Orange County and one instance in Durham County. West was […]

OC Home Invasion Leads To 20-Mile Chase, Wanted SuspectsTwo men are considered armed and dangerous after they fled from a reported home invasion in Orange County early Friday morning.

Investigation Leads to 6 Arrests for Heroin, Fentanyl Distribution in Orange CountyA joint investigation by Carrboro Police, Chapel Hill Police and the Orange County Sheriff’s Office has led to the arrest of six individuals who “engaged in the distribution of heroin and fentanyl.” Law enforcement officials said in a release Tuesday that a joint investigation came about after an overdose death in Carrboro in June 2018. […]
![]()
2nd Suspect Pleads Guilty to 2015 Murder of Chapel Hill InfantThe second suspect accused in the Christmas Day 2015 shooting death of 1-year-old Maleah Williams entered a guilty plea in Orange County Court on Tuesday. Pierre Je Bron Moore pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, discharged a weapon into occupied property, possession of a firearm by a felon and assault with a deadly weapon with intent […]
›