UNC recently shared that nine people were removed from on-campus housing amid complaints they violated COVID-19 safety protocols.

In a release shared with the campus community, the university said the residents were removed between November 1, 2020 and January 31, 2021.

Overall, the university reported 179 referrals for community standard violations in that three-month period. Of those, 88 cases resulted in developmental action (including written warnings, educational intervention, activity restrictions and probation). 22 cases were found to have insufficient information or no violation and 60 cases are still pending resolutions.

Under the university’s new testing program, asymptomatic students living in Chapel Hill or Carrboro are required to get tested once per week at one of UNC’s testing locations. Students living on campus or taking in-person courses must be tested twice per week.

UNC reports about 3,200 students living on campus as the university continues its remote learning until February 8. Since the spring semester began, 249 students and employees have tested positive for COVID-19. There are currently 36 on-campus residents in quarantine and 15 in isolation.

Last week, UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz addressed videos circulating on social media depicting some students hosting large, non-socially distanced gatherings. Guskiewicz said those who are caught breaking community and campus standards have the potential to be disenrolled.

“There are a number of students that have already been cited who are going through the judicial process here and potentially will be disenrolled,” Guskiewicz said. “We disenrolled students last semester and so we’re using all the resources we have to try to keep the campus community and the surrounding Chapel Hill-Carrboro community safe.”

Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees. You can support local journalism and our mission to serve the community. Contribute today – every single dollar matters.