The Morehead-Cain Foundation received its largest ever single donation from an alumnus in September. The $10 million gift from an anonymous donor will help the foundation keep providing scholarships to more UNC students for years to come.
The gift did not come with any conditions or requests to alter the scholarship program in any way, officials said. Morehead-Cain representatives say it reflects the donor’s confidence in the program’s impact on the UNC community and those who were scholarship recipients.
Chuck Lovelace, the executive director of the Morehead-Cain Foundation, says while the foundation had been in discussion with the donor for about a year, the emotions he felt when the gift became official are hard to explain.
“When it finally came through,” he says, “it’s just one of those moments where you’re overwhelmed by the generosity of the donor. How meaningful and impactful the gift is going to be for the program; it’s just hard to comprehend.”
The $10 million gift brings the foundation $10 million away from its fundraising goal during the university’s Campaign for Carolina. The scholarship program is aiming to reach $75 million donated by the fundraiser’s completion. Lovelace says that amount will sustain scholarships to 75 UNC students per class, a new benchmark just reached by the foundation, for many years.
“That will bring 300 scholars on campus at any one time over the four classes,” says Lovelace. “That will be the largest we’ve ever been in the program’s history, which goes back to 1951.”
With their gift, the donor started the Give Together Scholarship Challenge. Lovelace says its purpose to inspire other Morehead-Cain and UNC alumni to also donate to the foundation and help reach that fundraising goal.
“The donor was interested in not only helping us get to the end of our goal,” he says, “but also encouraging alumni who might not have come to the table to join the campaign, get involved and expand people’s horizons on what they might be able to do for the program.”
The Give Together Scholarship Challenge will run through the end of the Campaign for Carolina on December 31, 2022.
Related Stories
‹

UNC Capital Campaign Hits $5 Billion Milestone Ahead of End DateUNC announced Saturday it recently surpassed another major benchmark in its ongoing capital campaign: $5 billion. The university shared a release with the Campaign for Carolina update, as gifts from more than 215,000 donors reached the total just one month before the five-year fundraising effort comes to a close. The Campaign for Carolina launched in […]

UNC Officially Begins Business School Expansion, Shares Concept ArtWork to expand UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School officially got underway Thursday morning, as a groundbreaking ceremony was hosted in the school’s plaza area. While plans and fundraising work to create an expansion to the nationally-recognized school have been ongoing for years, the $150 million renovation earned the formal stamp of approval from Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz. […]
![]()
On Air Today: David Routh on UNC's Campaign for CarolinaUNC Vice Chancellor for Development David Routh joins 97.9 The Hill's Brighton McConnell to discuss the Campaign for Carolina on Thursday, January 13. With the fundraising effort hitting its ambitious goal a year earlier than anticipated, what comes next? Routh also shares thoughts on what the variety of donations means for the state's relationship with the university and the vision for these private gifts.

76 New Morehead-Cain Scholars Named Including Durham, Orange County StudentsThe Morehead-Cain Foundation announced its Class of 2025 recipients of its scholarship on Wednesday, including two Orange County students and two Durham County students who will attend UNC on the prestigious scholarship. The foundation shared 76 incoming students who earned spots in the merit-based scholarship program, a class that includes rising first-years from 21 states, […]

Morehead-Cain Foundation Names Christopher Bradford as Next Executive DirectorOne of the most prestigious scholarship programs at UNC will be undergoing a change in leadership this year. The Morehead-Cain Foundation has announced that Christopher “Chris” Bradford will be assuming the role of the foundation’s executive director this summer. Bradford will be arriving in Chapel Hill with his wife, daughter, and 17 years of experience […]

UNC Art Student, Morehead-Cain Scholar Dies While HikingThe UNC community lost one of its students this week after she died while hiking. According to the Morehead-Cain Foundation, Sally Sasz of the UNC Class of 2021 passed while hiking in Utah on Monday. The 21-year-old was an art history and English major and the recipient of the Morehead-Cain scholarship. Sasz served as an Arts Ambassador […]

Donation Made to Construct Stallings-Evans Sports Medicine Complex on UNC CampusIn 2010, the Stallings family made the primary gift that led to the Stallings-Evans Sports Medicine Center on UNC’s campus. On Saturday, the university announced the family would once again be donating to grow it further. Don and Billie Stallings and their family all stood at the center of the Dean Smith Center at halftime […]

UNC Fundraising Leader Set to Leave After Record-Breaking Year, Staff DissatisfactionUNC announced on Wednesday Vice Chancellor for University Development Michael Andreasen will depart after more than three years in the job.

Major UNC Alumnus, Donor Announces Plans to Give Away North Carolina Boat Company's ProceedsEddie Smith Jr., a UNC alumnus and major donor, is cementing the spirit and philanthropic efforts of his company, Grady-White Boats.

When UNC Didn't Offer a Class About the Art Market, a Student Created It HerselfThere is always an interesting class to take at UNC-Chapel Hill, but not one exclusively focused on the business side of the art world.
›