Story originally posted August 26, 2014, 8:41 p.m.
UNC is investigating an off-the-field incident reportedly involving multiple players during fall camp.
News of the incident broke yesterday, just four days before the kickoff of the 2014 campaign. Multiple media outlets are reporting it may have been a hazing incident, while another outlet reports it may have simply been an altercation between players.
UNC assistant athletic director for communications, Kevin Best said in a statement, “We are aware of an incident involving members of the UNC football team that took place earlier this month. We take this allegation seriously and the University is conducting a thorough review.”
Yahoo! Sports reported Tuesday evening that walk-on redshirt freshman wide receiver Jackson Boyer said a number of his teammates physically assaulted him at the Aloft hotel on NC-54 when the team was staying there during fall camp. Boyer said the incident resulted in a concussion, according to the report.
Chapel Hill Police Public Information Sergeant Bryan Walker says there are no reports of an incident filed in August at the Aloft Hotel.
Boyer’s father, Rob, told Yahoo! Sports he wasn’t ready to comment on the incident, but he confirmed one took place.
Boyer is a graduate of East Chapel Hill High School and walked on to the team last year. According to the News and Observer, he is still on the team and has been practicing recently.
WCHL will have more information as it becomes available.