Carrboro police will now carry kits to help prevent drug overdose deaths. The kits contain Naloxone, which temporarily blocks the effects of opiates.
Officials say accidental poisoning deaths have risen 300 percent in North Carolina since 1999, and opiate overdoses account for 92 percent of that increase.
All Carrboro officers, including those who work in patrol, schools and community services will be issued the kits and trained to administer the drug nasally.
Since December of last year, the Orange County Health Department has offered the life-saving kits to friends and family members of opiate users, along with training on how to use them.
Under the 2013 Good Samaritan law, people who seek help for an overdose victim can no longer be prosecuted for possession of small amounts of drugs, paraphernalia, or for underage drinking. This is meant to encourage reporting of overdoses and get victims help right away.
Police say that if you suspect someone has overdosed, call 911 and stay with the person until help arrives.
Related Stories
‹

Hillsborough Mayor Helps Spread Overdose Awareness After Saving A LifeHillsborough Mayor Mark Bell was driving to town on June 10 when he saw someone laying on the ground. Later, he realized it was an overdose.

Carrboro Police Arrest 1 on Death by Distribution ChargesThe Carrboro Police Department announced it arrested and charged for a man who is accused of providing drugs last summer to a resident that died from an overdose. A release from the department on Thursday said authorities arrested John Robert Small, a 31-year-old Carrboro resident, on Wednesday in connection to the death of Bradley Zimmerman. […]
![]()
First Responders Complete Fifth Opioid Overdose Reversal in CarrboroAn overdose that occurred yesterday evening in Carrboro was reversed by law enforcement officers with the assistance of a drug that blocks the effects of opioids. According to a release from the Carrboro Police Department, this is the fifth successful overdose reversal since officers began carrying the drug over two years ago. That drug is […]
![]()
UNC Initiative Working to Combat Opioid EpidemicNearly 400 North Carolina citizens died from an opioid overdose last year. In 2014, 45 North Carolina counties had overdose death rates higher than the national average of 9 per 100,000. The state continues to exceed this national average, and has been steadily increasing over the past 10 years. There have been efforts to reverse the […]
![]()
Carrboro Police Reverse Fourth Overdose with NaloxoneCarrboro Police have once again used naloxone to reverse a drug overdose. Police say officers were called to a reported heroin overdose just before 10 o’clock Friday night where authorities found an “unconscious subject.” A release says an officer then administered naloxone, which allowed the patient to regain consciousness, according to police. The subject then […]

Cases of Diarrhea Parasite Reported in Orange County, Health Department Shares GuidanceAs an outbreak of cyclospora continues in the United States, eight people in Orange County have reported falling sick from the parasite.

Orange County Health Director Quintana Stewart Stepping Down; Interim Leader NamedQuintana Stewart, the health director who helped lead Orange County through its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, is departing the role this summer. Dorothy Celinti, who has served as the interim twice before, will take over.
![]()
On Air Today: Orange County's 2026 'State of the County Health' ReportOrange County public health education manager Marcy Williams discusses this year's "State of the County Health" report.

Police: Additional Charges Filed in Carrboro High School Gunfire IncidentThe Carrboro Police Department announced new charges and suspects in relation to an investigation into gunfire near Carrboro High School earlier in April and a separate criminal violation at the school on March 6. The Carrboro Police originally charged two juveniles in the investigation into the April incident: a 17-year-old Carrboro High student and a […]

Police Charge 2 Juveniles After Gunfire Near Carrboro High School; Schools Given 'All Clear' After Tightening SecurityLocal law enforcement issued an "all clear" after a gunfire investigation near Carrboro High School Tuesday, which had caused the campus and nearby schools to raise their level of security.
›