
A Burlington woman accused of helping a North Carolina Department of Adult Corrections prisoner evade the law after escaping from a transport vehicle made her first appearance in court on Monday afternoon.
After having been arrested, made bond and released the prior week, Jacobia Crisp presented at the Orange County courthouse in the first public appearance on charges since 30-year-old Ramone Alston was re-captured by authorities on Friday. The 32-year-old Crisp faces a charge of felony aiding and abetting a fugitive and a charge of felony harboring an escape.
Around 7 a.m. on August 13, Alston ran from a transport vehicle as it was arriving to UNC Hospitals’ Hillsborough campus for a medical appointment. The inmate evaded an extensive ground search conducted by local and state authorities for more than 24 hours before it was suspended the afternoon of August 14, with law enforcement arrested him in a Kannapolis hotel during the early morning hours on Friday, August 16.
Alston, who is serving a life sentence over the 2015 killing of an infant in Chapel Hill, was being kept at a state detention facility in Windsor, N.C. before his escape. Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood said following Alston and Crisp’s arrests on Friday the pair developed a relationship over the phone while Alston was in prison. The nature of their relationship beyond that, though, is still under investigation and local authorities have yet to share any more details publicly. Investigators have also yet to share specific details on Crisp’s involvement with Alston’s escape and hiding from law enforcement.
According to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, the maximum time Crisp could be imprisoned on her charges is five years — in which any past criminal record would be taken into account. Several Triangle-area television stations reported Monday her prior record includes minor traffic violations, but nothing more. District Attorney Jeff Nieman committed last week to prosecute both Alston and any accomplices who helped him escape.
Crisp is next scheduled to appear in court on September 13.
Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees, and you can directly support our efforts in local journalism here. Want more of what you see on Chapelboro? Let us bring free local news and community information to you by signing up for our newsletter.
Related Stories
‹

Orange County Sheriff's Office Involved in Car Chase; Armed Suspect Later KilledOrange County Sheriff’s Office assisted in a vehicle pursuit early Thursday morning with an armed suspect, who was eventually shot and killed by officers from different agencies. According to a release from the office, Bruswick County authorities issued a ‘be on the lookout’ warning of a motorist suspected of making harmful threats to himself and […]

Work on I-40 Widening Project Set to Close Lanes, Exit Ramps Overnight in HillsboroughThe ongoing work to widen I-40 in Orange County is set to disrupt overnight traffic patterns for the rest of the week, according to NCDOT.

City of Mebane Loosens Water Usage Restrictions, Still Encourages ConservationAs the City of Mebane continues repairs on a water treatment plant, the local government issued an urgent message to residents on Wednesday morning to stop using water amid a drastic shortage.

Mebane, Orange County Warn of Lake Michael Dam Potential Failure Amid Heavy RainUPDATE: During a press conference on Monday afternoon, Orange County Emergency Services Director Kirby Saunders said the Lake Michael Dam did not fail. Residents in the area, however, are encouraged to remain in higher ground until high waters recede. Below is the initial story published early Monday morning. The City of Mebane warned residents in […]
![]()
On Air Today: The Mebane Dogwood Festival with Valerie Beausoleil and Claudia ClementeValerie Beausoleil and Claudia Clemente, who help lead the Mebane Business Association, join 97.9 The Hill News Director Brighton McConnell on Thursday, April 17.

Chapel Hill Police Identify, Charge Third in High-Speed Chase and Shooting From JanuaryChapel Hill Police delivered 17 charges stemming from the Jan. 25 shooting to 19-year-old Maurice Keys as he was held in Durham County.

Current, Future North Carolina Governors' Challenge of Power-Shifting Law Could Be First of ManyNorth Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper and Gov.-elect Josh Stein on Thursday challenged the constitutionality of a portion of a law enacted just a day earlier.

State Highway Patrol Names Third Adult Killed in Hillsborough Single-Car CrashA single-vehicle crash just north of Hillsborough town limits led to three fatalities and a severe injuries to a child, according to law enforcement.

Hillsborough Driver Injured, Charged with Reckless Driving After Crash with Orange County School BusA Hillsborough resident suffered “serious” injuries and faces reckless driving charges after crashing into an Orange County Schools school bus on Wednesday afternoon, according to state investigators. A release from the North Carolina State Highway Patrol on Wednesday said troopers responded to reports of a crash along Faucette Mill Road at the intersection of Odie […]

Burlington Woman Accused of Aiding Escaped Inmate Makes First Appearance in Orange County CourtJacobia Crisp presented at the Orange County courthouse in her first public appearance on charges related to the escape of Ramone Alston.
›