
Following Alabama’s blowout win over Ohio State in Monday night’s college football national championship game, ESPN wasted no time publishing its “Way-Too-Early” top 25 rankings for 2021 — a list that had UNC ranked No. 7 heading into next season.
The Tar Heels will return 21 of their 22 starters from this year’s Orange Bowl in 2021, including quarterback Sam Howell — who is expected to compete for the Heisman Trophy.
UNC was already without running backs Javonte Williams and Michael Carter, receiver Dyami Brown and linebacker Chazz Surratt for the Orange Bowl loss against No. 5 Texas A&M. Each of those players opted out of the game to focus on preparations for the NFL Draft.
Senior receiver Dazz Newsome is the only Tar Heel who started the Orange Bowl that will not be back in 2021.
UNC went 8-4 in 2020 and made the program’s first major bowl appearance since 1950, but head coach Mack Brown is hoping the team can take another big step forward next season and it appears he will have the talent to make a run at it.
Clemson was projected by ESPN as the No. 1 team to start next season, followed by Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia and Ohio State.
Texas A&M claimed the No. 6 spot in front of the Tar Heels, while the rest of the top 10 consists of Iowa State, USC and Indiana.
For the full ESPN Way-Too-Early Top 25, click here.
Photo via ACC Media
Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees. You can support local journalism and our mission to serve the community. Contribute today – every single dollar matters.
Related Stories
‹

What's Playing for Bobby Petrino Like? Tar Heels Discuss New Offensive CoordinatorThe 2026 season will be Bobby Petrino’s first as UNC’s offensive coordinator. Petrino will look to revitalize a unit which struggled for most of the 2025 season, finishing 16th out of 17 teams in the ACC in scoring and dead last in yardage. Petrino most recently coached at Arkansas, and though the Razorbacks endured a […]

'Let's Fulfill That Obligation': UNC Chancellor Lee Roberts, Preparing for Another YearUNC Chancellor Lee Roberts discusses many of the issues facing Carolina ahead of the start of the 2026-27 school year.

Chansky's Notebook: Carolina ConundrumThere is no question Mike Lombardi will lose his job as football general manager and leave Chapel Hill, writes Art Chansky.
![]()
The Morning News: Chatham Residents Fight Pipeline, Breadman's Shut Down, Steve Belichick on Medical LeaveChatham County residents speak out against a proposed natural gas pipeline, and an iconic Chapel Hill restaurant is abruptly shuttered.

UNC Football Ramping Up Intensity as Fall Training Camp Hits 1-Week MarkThursday morning marked one week of UNC’s fall training camp, and head coach Bill Belichick said the team has been steadily ramping up the intensity of its sessions. Wednesday was the Tar Heels’ first day of practice in pads, as the “acclimation period” portion of camp comes to an end. “The competition really starts this […]

UNC Defensive Coordinator Steve Belichick on Medical Leave, Father Bill SaysUNC defensive coordinator Steve Belichick is away from the program on medical leave, head coach Bill Belichick said Thursday at the Kenan Football Center. Steve Belichick had been scheduled to address the media last Thursday following the Tar Heels’ first practice of fall camp, but did not appear at the podium. Bill Belichick said the […]
![]()
The Morning News: Legion Road, ArtsOrange, Jason Johnson, Bill BelichickIn today's news: Chapel Hill provides an update on the future of its 36-acre property on Legion Road, with a pond slated for removal.

Chansky's Notebook: The One Who Got AwayMack Brown was a very good football coach. His father was a high school coach in Tennessee, and his older brother Watson preceded him into mid-major positions. The peripatetic Brown held nine assistant jobs and one as a head coach in 15 years before he was 35. That included being the athletic director at Tulane […]

Taking Advantage of Court Ruling, UNC Kicker Rece Verhoff Returns to ProgramKicker Rece Verhoff is returning to the UNC football program and plans to play in the 2026 season, taking advantage of a recent court ruling from U.S. District Judge Charlotte Sweeney which granted a fifth year of eligibility to athletes who graduated high school in 2022. Welcome back Rece Verhoff pic.twitter.com/Fwk0Z4PeNB — Carolina Football (@UNCFootball) […]
![]()
The Morning News: Mike Roberson, Chatham Pipeline, Chapel Hill Vehicle Break-Ins, Dean DomeIn today's news: former Chatham County sheriff Mike Roberson steps into a new role as a Chatham County Commissioner.
›