
A total of six UNC football players were selected Monday to the All-ACC Academic team for their outstanding performances both on the field and in the classroom.
Sophomore quarterback Sam Howell earned the honor for the second straight season. He was joined by fellow sophomores Cam’Ron Kelly, Don Chapman, Tomari Fox and Ben Kiernan, as well as freshman Ja’Qurious Conley.
Kelly, Chapman and Conley are all part of UNC’s young core of defensive backs, while Fox is an outside linebacker who was third on the team with four sacks in 2020.
Kiernan, meanwhile, is the punter and he averaged 43.7 yards per punt on 34 attempts this season.
Minimum academic requirements for selection to the All-ACC Academic Team are a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during a player’s academic career.
Athletic achievements during the most recent season are also considered in selecting the All-ACC Academic Team.
Photo via ACC Media
Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees. You can support local journalism and our mission to serve the community. Contribute today – every single dollar matters.
Related Stories
‹

Sam Howell, Joshua Ezeudu Selected to All-ACC Academic Football TeamUNC freshman quarterback Sam Howell and sophomore offensive lineman Joshua Ezeudu were each named to the All-ACC Academic Football team on Thursday, the only Tar Heels to be recognized. Eligibility for the All-ACC Academic team is dependent upon student-athletes having a cumulative 3.0 grade point average for their college career and a 3.0 GPA in […]

What's Playing for Bobby Petrino Like? Tar Heels Discuss New Offensive CoordinatorThe 2026 season will be Bobby Petrino’s first as UNC’s offensive coordinator. Petrino will look to revitalize a unit which struggled for most of the 2025 season, finishing 16th out of 17 teams in the ACC in scoring and dead last in yardage. Petrino most recently coached at Arkansas, and though the Razorbacks endured a […]

'Let's Fulfill That Obligation': UNC Chancellor Lee Roberts, Preparing for Another YearUNC Chancellor Lee Roberts discusses many of the issues facing Carolina ahead of the start of the 2026-27 school year.

Chansky's Notebook: Carolina ConundrumThere is no question Mike Lombardi will lose his job as football general manager and leave Chapel Hill, writes Art Chansky.
![]()
The Morning News: Chatham Residents Fight Pipeline, Breadman's Shut Down, Steve Belichick on Medical LeaveChatham County residents speak out against a proposed natural gas pipeline, and an iconic Chapel Hill restaurant is abruptly shuttered.

UNC Football Ramping Up Intensity as Fall Training Camp Hits 1-Week MarkThursday morning marked one week of UNC’s fall training camp, and head coach Bill Belichick said the team has been steadily ramping up the intensity of its sessions. Wednesday was the Tar Heels’ first day of practice in pads, as the “acclimation period” portion of camp comes to an end. “The competition really starts this […]

UNC Defensive Coordinator Steve Belichick on Medical Leave, Father Bill SaysUNC defensive coordinator Steve Belichick is away from the program on medical leave, head coach Bill Belichick said Thursday at the Kenan Football Center. Steve Belichick had been scheduled to address the media last Thursday following the Tar Heels’ first practice of fall camp, but did not appear at the podium. Bill Belichick said the […]
![]()
The Morning News: Legion Road, ArtsOrange, Jason Johnson, Bill BelichickIn today's news: Chapel Hill provides an update on the future of its 36-acre property on Legion Road, with a pond slated for removal.

Chansky's Notebook: The One Who Got AwayMack Brown was a very good football coach. His father was a high school coach in Tennessee, and his older brother Watson preceded him into mid-major positions. The peripatetic Brown held nine assistant jobs and one as a head coach in 15 years before he was 35. That included being the athletic director at Tulane […]

Taking Advantage of Court Ruling, UNC Kicker Rece Verhoff Returns to ProgramKicker Rece Verhoff is returning to the UNC football program and plans to play in the 2026 season, taking advantage of a recent court ruling from U.S. District Judge Charlotte Sweeney which granted a fifth year of eligibility to athletes who graduated high school in 2022. Welcome back Rece Verhoff pic.twitter.com/Fwk0Z4PeNB — Carolina Football (@UNCFootball) […]
›