UNC – Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt announced at the campus Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday morning that the university was launching a $2 million support fund for students impacted by Hurricane Florence.

The massive storm made landfall earlier this month and devastated many communities, particularly in southeastern North Carolina.

“Today we are sending a clear message to our students who were affected by the devastation of Hurricane Florence and their families: We are here for you,” Folt said in a release. “Recovering from a storm like Hurricane Florence takes time and resources. Carolina is a generous, caring community and many who were spared the fury of Florence have asked how they can help students whose families are still suffering in its aftermath. We’re grateful to be able to create this fund to support our fellow Tar Heels in their time of need.”

Folt sent a message to the campus community in the immediate aftermath of the storm, encouraging them to stay safe and asking faculty to work with students who were forced to miss class due to the storm.

“During times like this, we really see Tar Heels come together and do what they can to support each other,” Enrollment and Undergraduate Admissions vice provost Steve Farmer said in a statement issued by the university. “We’ve heard from so many people in the community who want to contribute, and this fund is just one way to connect people who want to help those who need it most.”

Students who are experiencing financial hardship due to the hurricane can access resources from the new fund by contacting the Student Success Hub in Room 2416 at the Carolina Union or by emailing florence@unc.edu,

UNC opened a mega shelter at the Friday Center to take in evacuees from portions of North Carolina significantly impacted by the storm.

Donations can be made to the Florence support fund here.