
A lawsuit filed by former UNC provost Chris Clemens against the school alleges the university’s Board of Trustees violated the state of North Carolina’s open meeting laws when it – among other things – hired head football coach Bill Belichick in December.
Clemens’ lawsuit takes aim at several violations by the Board dating back to “at least” 2023, including a closed meeting during which policies and practices related to tenure for faculty were debated. In addition, notable topics concerning the UNC athletic department are specifically mentioned, including the hiring of Belichick.
The lawsuit alleges that, on December 12, 2024, the Board of Trustees “called an ’emergency meeting’ with minimal notice, then immediately entered closed session to approve hiring a high-profile football coach [Belichick] whose compensation package and entire hiring was already public. The Board’s perfunctory return to open session for a rubber-stamp vote demonstrates that substantive deliberation occurred in secret.”
Belichick’s hiring was made official on December 11, and he was introduced to the public the next day.
North Carolina’s open meeting laws require public bodies such as UNC’s Board of Trustees to conduct “hearings, deliberations and actions” in a manner open to members of the public, whether in person or online.
The processes which led to Belichick’s hiring have already been subject to criticism, with a report by ESPN earlier this year revealing that then-chair of the Board of Trustees John Preyer and the rest of the Board undercut athletic director Bubba Cunningham’s authority by submitting an offer sheet to Belichick’s agent without Cunningham’s approval.
The lawsuit points to two other athletics deliberations which allegedly violated the open meeting laws. First, in November 2023, the lawsuit says the Board entered a closed session to discuss UNC’s future in the ACC “and compare potential financial outcomes with SEC or Big Ten membership.”
“These conference affiliation and departmental budget discussions are policy matters that belong in open session,” the lawsuit wrote.
In May 2024, the Board allegedly used another closed session to discuss UNC’s strategy relating to potential conference realignment and the finances of the athletic department.
“There is no statutory exemption that permits closing discussion of institutional affiliations and budget planning,” says the lawsuit.
Clemens is retaining the services of attorney David McKenzie, who himself sued UNC and the Board of Trustees last year in a similar complaint. McKenzie also sued UNC in February over alleged public record violations relating to potential conference realignment moves.
Clemens resigned as UNC provost in May following an extended dispute with the Board, which asked him to leave his position while citing his “inappropriate disclosure” of discussions during closed session relating to the tenure debate. Clemens himself alleges the Board took part in a “retaliation campaign” against him, after Jed Atkins, dean of the School of Civic Life and Leadership, told Preyer about Clemens sharing the closed session discussions. Notably, Cunningham and UNC chancellor Lee Roberts are not named as defendants in Clemens’ lawsuit, while Preyer and 13 other members of the Board of Trustees are.
Featured image via UNC-Chapel Hill/Jon Gardiner
Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees, and you can directly support our efforts in local journalism here. Want more of what you see on Chapelboro? Let us bring free local news and community information to you by signing up for our newsletter.
Related Stories
‹

Chansky's Notebook: Carolina ConundrumThere is no question Mike Lombardi will lose his job as football general manager and leave Chapel Hill, writes Art Chansky.

UNC Football Ramping Up Intensity as Fall Training Camp Hits 1-Week MarkThursday morning marked one week of UNC’s fall training camp, and head coach Bill Belichick said the team has been steadily ramping up the intensity of its sessions. Wednesday was the Tar Heels’ first day of practice in pads, as the “acclimation period” portion of camp comes to an end. “The competition really starts this […]

UNC Defensive Coordinator Steve Belichick on Medical Leave, Father Bill SaysUNC defensive coordinator Steve Belichick is away from the program on medical leave, head coach Bill Belichick said Thursday at the Kenan Football Center. Steve Belichick had been scheduled to address the media last Thursday following the Tar Heels’ first practice of fall camp, but did not appear at the podium. Bill Belichick said the […]

Chansky's Notebook: The One Who Got AwayMack Brown was a very good football coach. His father was a high school coach in Tennessee, and his older brother Watson preceded him into mid-major positions. The peripatetic Brown held nine assistant jobs and one as a head coach in 15 years before he was 35. That included being the athletic director at Tulane […]

Taking Advantage of Court Ruling, UNC Kicker Rece Verhoff Returns to ProgramKicker Rece Verhoff is returning to the UNC football program and plans to play in the 2026 season, taking advantage of a recent court ruling from U.S. District Judge Charlotte Sweeney which granted a fifth year of eligibility to athletes who graduated high school in 2022. Welcome back Rece Verhoff pic.twitter.com/Fwk0Z4PeNB — Carolina Football (@UNCFootball) […]

Shaquille O'Neal Featured Among 2026 Performers for Chapel Thrill Concert SeriesUNC has announced its setlist for the 2026 Chapel Thrill Concert Series. The series is part of the school’s “Chapel Thrill Game Day,” which debuted in 2025. The concerts are the centerpiece of the festivities, with the stage located on Polk Place in front of Wilson Library in the heart of the UNC campus. Each […]

Amid Cloud of Uncertainty, UNC Football Opens 2026 Fall Training CampUNC took the field in Chapel Hill Thursday morning to open its fall training camp. Despite prognostications of doom and a gamut of negative press, it appears the Tar Heels will, in fact, play football in 2026. The bizarre headlines trickling out of the Kenan Football Center had no doubt cast a pall over things: […]

Belichick Mum on Michael Lombardi Situation, While UNC Chancellor Vows Investigation Will 'Fix It'UNC head coach Bill Belichick addressed the media at the Kenan Football Center as the Tar Heels opened their fall training camp Thursday morning. It was Belichick’s first public appearance since the university announced Monday that general manager Michael Lombardi was being put on paid administrative leave for what is being reported as an HR […]

'Nobody Likes to Lose': UNC Football Motivated by Frustrations of 2025 SeasonThe 2025 football season saw UNC end on a three-game losing streak. That in itself is, unfortunately for the Tar Heels, not entirely unique: Carolina lost three straight to end the 2024 and 2023 seasons and closed out the 2022 season on an ugly four-game slide. But it was the way in which the Tar […]

'Go Heels, Through and Through': UNC Football Speaks at the 2026 ACC KickoffMembers of the UNC football team spoke to the media at the ACC Kickoff event in Charlotte Friday. Head coach Bill Belichick, receiver Jordan Shipp, offensive lineman Christo Kelly and defensive end Melkart Abou-Jaoude addressed several topics, including the upcoming season and last year’s difficult campaign. Below are highlights from Friday’s media session: Melkart Abou-Jaoude […]
›