NC law enforcement campaign Booze It and Lose It: Operation Firecracker begins Friday, June 24.
The campaign seeks to reduce the number of drunk-driving deaths in N-C during Independence Day celebrations.
Governor Pat McCrory said, “There will be an increase in law enforcement officers on our roadways, including nine DWI Task Force teams, day and night over the next several weeks to catch drivers who break the law, so plan ahead to get home safely.”
Sobriety checkpoints will also be set up throughout the state reminding drivers to avoid drinking and driving during the holidays.
Last year’s Task Force teams made 1,785 arrests for drunk driving in the State during the Fourth of July holiday period.
In addition to reducing deaths from alcohol related car accidents, the campaign seeks to encourage alternatives to drunk driving such as calling a taxi, riding with a sober friend or family member, or using public transportation.
Booze It and Lose It: Operation Firecracker will be in effect until July 5.
Related Stories
‹

North Carolina Supreme Court Says Bars’ COVID-19 Lawsuits Can ContinueThe North Carolina Supreme Court issued favorable rulings Friday for bars and their operators in litigation seeking monetary compensation from the state for COVID-19 restrictions.

North Carolina Updates More Than 20,000 Voter Records, Seeks More ID NumbersVoter registration records for more than 20,000 people in North Carolina have been successfully amended — but 82,000+ remain incomplete.

Duke Energy Seeks to Merge Carolina Utilities, Projecting More Than $1B in Customer SavingsDuke Energy Corp. said it formally asked federal and state regulators on Thursday for permission to join together its two subsidiaries.

North Carolina Gov. Stein Signs Stopgap Budget Bill and Vetoes Opt-in Bill Helping School ChoiceWritten by GARY D. ROBERTSON RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Gov. Josh Stein signed into law on Wednesday a stopgap spending measure while lawmakers remain in a state budget impasse. But he vetoed legislation that would direct state participation in a yet-implemented federal tax credit program to boost school-choice options, suggesting state Republicans acted hastily. The […]

Latest Declaration by Gov. Stein Opens More Relief Opportunities for Orange County Flood VictimsNearly a full month removed from Tropical Depression Chantal's significant rain and subsequent flooding, victims in Orange County and other impacted regions have a new way to seek individual relief.

North Carolina DMV Audit Recommends Reforms To Reverse Customer Wait Times, Worker MoraleState Auditor Dave Boliek on Monday released two audits totaling nearly 600 pages that scrutinize the North Carolina DMV and offer changes.

North Carolina Senate Race Sets up as a Fight Over Who Would Be a Champion for the Middle ClassDemocrats still in the dumps over last year's elections have found cause for optimism in North Carolina in the 2026 U.S. Senate race.

North Carolina Lawmakers Approve Stopgap Spending Measure Amid Budget ImpasseNorth Carolina legislators gave final approval Wednesday to a stopgap spending measure while Republican leaders keep building a broad budget.

Some North Carolina Democratic Lawmakers Break from Party to Pass Republican PrioritiesNorth Carolina Republican lawmakers overrode several vetoes by Gov. Josh Stein, getting just enough votes from Democrats to enact some laws.

RNC Chairman Michael Whatley Plans To Run for Senate in North Carolina, With Trump’s BackingMichael Whatley, chairman of the national Republican Party, plans to run for an open Senate seat in North Carolina in 2026, with the blessing of President Donald Trump.
›