North Carolina’s current Democratic governor and two former Republican governors aren’t happy with the General Assembly’s decision to attempt to rewrite two proposed constitutional amendments that a court blocked from going on ballots this fall.
A spokesman for Gov. Roy Cooper said the new amendments that GOP lawmakers are considering in a special session that started Friday “remain deceptive, unconstitutional and wrong.” Ford Porter also says the proposals still attempt to eradicate the separation of government powers by shifting executive branch duties to the legislature.
Former Republican Govs. Jim Martin and Pat McCrory joined three Democratic ex-governors last week in opposing the two amendments. McCrory and Martin wrote an open letter Friday saying the better course for legislators is to remove the questions entirely and eliminate a “major distraction” as voters consider four other proposed amendments still on ballots.