North Carolina hit a major benchmark on Wednesday when it officially surpassed one million COVID-19 cases within the state.
Data from the North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services shows the state has accounted for 1,000,416 total cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began in early 2020.
Data from the Center for Disease Control shows that the United States has experienced more than 33 million cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.
However, North Carolina has been experiencing a downward trajectory of COVID-19 cases since the distribution of vaccines was first started earlier this year. Data from NCHHS, 53 percent of adults in North Carolina age 18 and older have received at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine with 48.5 percent being fully vaccinated.
In addition, 79.7 percent of adults age 65 and older have received at least one shot, with 76 percent being fully vaccinated.
North Carolina’s benchmark in COVID-19 cases comes a few weeks after Governor Roy Cooper lifted most mask requirements for fully-vaccinated people and social distancing measures. Following guidance from the Center for Disease Control, Cooper announced on May 14 that fully-vaccinated individuals would not have to wear masks in most situations.
“Today is a great day,” Cooper said at the time. “But the work is not yet done and people getting vaccinated will get it done. The CDC’s guidance affirms that getting vaccinated is the way through this. We can take this step today because the science shows our focus on getting people vaccinated is working.”
Visit the NCHHS’ website for more information on where to find a COVID-19 vaccine shot in your area.
Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees. You can support local journalism and our mission to serve the community. Contribute today – every single dollar matters.
Related Stories
‹

As COVID Cases Surge with New Variants, Experts Encourage Bivalent VaccineNorth Carolina last week, compared to 23,322 the previous week. UNC infectious disease specialist Dr. David Wohl said the latest Covid surge is placing stress on hospital systems, clinics and workplaces.

Two Years Into Pandemic, Healthcare Staff Shortages and Burnout ReignAmid yet another surge of COVID-19 cases and ever-changing protocols and recommendations, healthcare systems and their employees continue to face burnout, staffing shortages and mental health crises.

Red Cross Faces Biggest Blood Shortage Since 2015, Needs 40,000 More DonorsThe American Red Cross is experiencing an emergency blood and platelet shortage as collection events are cancelled or postponed due to the pandemic and flu season looms on the horizon.

UNC Infectious Disease Expert Urges Vaccinations as COVID Cases, Hospitalizations SurgeAs Orange County prepares to implement an indoor mask mandate, and COVID-19 cases surge due to the more contagious delta variant, infectious disease experts continue to urge people to get vaccinated.

North Carolina Reverses Course, Urges Masks in All SchoolsNorth Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper on Thursday decided to reverse course from guidance he issued last week and will now urge all K-12 public school students and staff to be masked, even if they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. The Democratic governor and the state’s top public health official, Dr. Mandy Cohen, pinned much blame […]

UNC, Duke Health To Require Staff COVID-19 Vaccinations by SeptemberUNC Health, alongside other state healthcare systems, has announced that it will make COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory for all staff. According to a UNC Health statement, all staff must receive their vaccine by Tuesday, September 21. The message said the main goal of these mandatory COVID vaccinations is to “protect the health and safety of our […]

OC State of Emergency Needs Permission From State, May Expire Ahead of ScheduleAmid changing guidelines from the state and federal government, Orange County may soon have to alter its COVID-19 State of Emergency order to expire ahead of schedule.

More Than 50 Percent of Adults in North Carolina Have Received the COVID-19 VaccineNorth Carolina hit a major benchmark this week, as half of adults age 18 and over have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. “This is a significant milestone toward our goal of stopping the spread of COVID-19 and bringing summer back to North Carolina,” said the state’s Department of Health and Human […]

Cooper: June 1 is Target for Lifting Capacity, Mass Gathering RestrictionsOn Wednesday, Governor Roy Cooper said he anticipates being able to lift all mandatory social distancing, capacity and mass gathering restrictions by June 1.

All North Carolinians 16+ Now Eligible for COVID-19 VaccinesOn Wednesday, all North Carolinians age 16 and up will be eligible to receive their COVID-19 vaccine.
›