Written by MATTHEW LEE
WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department is proposing requiring applicants for business and tourist visas to post a bond of up to $15,000 to enter the United States, a move that may make the process unaffordable for many.
In a notice to be published in the Federal Register on Tuesday, the department said it would start a 12-month pilot program under which people from countries deemed to have high overstay rates and deficient internal document security controls could be required to post bonds of $5,000, $10,000 or $15,000 when they apply for a visa.
The proposal comes as the Trump administration is tightening requirements for visa applicants. Last week, the State Department announced that many visa renewal applicants would have to submit to an additional in-person interview, something that was not required in the past. In addition, the department is proposing that applicants for the Visa Diversity Lottery program have valid passports from their country of citizenship.
A preview of the bond notice, which was posted on the Federal Register website on Monday, said the pilot program would take effect within 15 days of its formal publication and is necessary to ensure that the U.S. government is not financially liable if a visitor does not comply with the terms of his or her visa.
“Aliens applying for visas as temporary visitors for business or pleasure and who are nationals of countries identified by the department as having high visa overstay rates, where screening and vetting information is deemed deficient, or offering citizenship by investment, if the alien obtained citizenship with no residency requirement, may be subject to the pilot program,” the notice said.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio gives a media briefing during the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting at the Convention Centre in Kuala Lumpur Friday, July 11, 2025. (Photo via Mandel Ngan/Pool Photo and AP.)
The countries affected will be listed once the program takes effect, it said. The bond could be waived depending on an applicant’s individual circumstances.
The bond would not apply to citizens of countries enrolled in the Visa Waiver Program, which enables travel for business or tourism for up to 90 days. The majority of the 42 countries enrolled in the program are in Europe, with others in Asia, the Middle East and elsewhere.
Visa bonds have been proposed in the past but have not been implemented. The State Department has traditionally discouraged the requirement because of the cumbersome process of posting and discharging a bond and because of a possible misperceptions by the public.
However, the department said that previous view “is not supported by any recent examples or evidence, as visa bonds have not generally been required in any recent period.”
Related Stories
‹

Homeland Security Secretary Noem Defends Trump’s Hard-Line Immigration Policies During Tense HearingThe hearing was Kristi Noem’s first public appearance before Congress in months, testifying at the House Committee on Homeland Security.

State Department Is Firing More Than 1,300 Employees Under Trump Administration PlanThe U.S. State Department is firing more than 1,300 employees on Friday in line with a dramatic reorganization plan from the Trump administration

Alarm Grows After the US Inserts Itself Into Israel’s War Against Iran With Strikes on Nuclear SitesThe world grappled Sunday with the United States inserting itself into Israel’s war by attacking Iranian nuclear sites, an operation that raised urgent questions about what remained of Tehran’s nuclear program.
![]()
Foreign Students Weigh Studying in Person vs. Losing VisasInternational students worried about a new immigration policy that could potentially cost them their visas say they feel stuck between being unnecessarily exposed during the coronavirus pandemic and being able to finish their studies in America. Students from countries as diverse as India, China and Brazil told The Associated Press they are scrambling to devise […]

How a Defendant in Minnesota Went Free Because of Justice Department TurmoilThe Trump administration says its immigration enforcement in Minnesota has improved public safety. Left in its wake, though, is a greatly weakened U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Iran Meets UN Nuclear Watchdog in Geneva Ahead of a Second Round of US TalksIran’s top diplomat met with the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency on Monday, ahead of a second round of negotiations with the United States over Tehran’s nuclear program.
![]()
Celebrating Culture, Free Speech Amid Criticism of Super Bowl Halftime and Olympics — Stroman On Sports (Feb. 13, 2026)Deborah Stroman discusses the controversy around political statements and cultural highlights made at both the Olympics and Super Bowl.

As ICE Expands, An AP Review of Crimes Committed by Agents Shows How Their Powers Can Be AbusedAt least two dozen U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement employees and contractors have been charged with crimes since 2020, and their documented wrongdoing includes patterns of physical and sexual abuse, corruption and other abuses of authority.

Migrants Languish in US Detention Centers Facing Dire Conditions and Prolonged WaitsProlonged detention has become more common in President Donald Trump’s second term, at least partly because a new policy generally prohibits immigration judges from releasing detainees while their deportation cases wind through backlogged courts.

Cubans Rendered Powerless as Outages Persist and Tensions With US EscalatePeople in Cuba are plunged into darkness daily and forced to cook with coal and firewood. But not everyone can survive this new reality.
›