It’s no surprise that Chapel Hill is a top-tier college basketball town.
The Tar Heels are consistently one of the best programs in the nation, the fans are passionate (and sometimes crazy) about supporting their team and you can regularly find former players in the stands.
But just how good of a college basketball town is Chapel Hill?
Per one outlet, it is the best in the country.
WalletHub recently released its “2018’s Best Cities for College Basketball Fans” with Chapel Hill at the very top. With a final score of 61.5, Chapel Hill beat out cities like Lawrence, KS (58.98), Los Angeles, CA (57.68) and Durham (56.31) for first place.
The website used nine metrics to calculate the rankings. The specific metrics are:
- Number of college basketball teams
- Performance level of college basketball teams (dividing numbers of wins by total games played)
- Number of basketball championships
- Number of regular season championship wins
- Number of Hall of Fame head coaches
- Minimum season ticket price
- College basketball fan engagement
- Number of coaches in the past 10 seasons
- College basketball stadium capacity
As expected, Chapel Hill ranks fairly high in all of those metrics given that the Tar Heels have perhaps the best program in college basketball. The ‘Heels have been to back-to-back national championship games, winning last year’s match over Gonzaga to claim a sixth national title.
After all, the ceiling is the roof for this college town.