A federal judge ruled Wednesday for the new Constitution Party of North Carolina, blocking a new state law so three of its chosen candidates can run for legislative and county seats in November after all.
The ruling halts enforcement on its candidates of a law the General Assembly finalized in June that prevented people who lost in the May primary election from running for the same office with a new political party in the fall. The law expanded the state’s existing “sore-loser” election law that banned candidates who lost primaries from running as an unaffiliated or write-in candidate.
The Constitution Party gained official recognition shortly before the law was implemented and sued last month, arguing it was retroactively applied to them. The party and the three candidates said the law kept them from fully participating in the election and that it violated their right to free speech and association.
U.S. District Judge Louise Flanagan agreed, writing that the retroactive removal was an “erratic execution” of election laws. Flanagan said the Constitution Party demonstrated they had a high likelihood of winning if the case went to trial, and that the party would suffer permanent damage if the law were not temporarily halted.
The preliminary injunction remains in place while the lawsuit continues. Barring a successful appeal, the Constitution Party’s candidates who lost in May but were chosen by the party at its convention to run in November — one for a state House seat and two for county commissions — will be on general election ballots.
It wasn’t clear Wednesday whether the state board of elections, listed as a defendant in the lawsuit, would appeal. The deadline to finalize ballots is fast approaching. They’re supposed to be sent to absentee ballots starting Sept. 7. Republican legislative leaders didn’t immediately respond Wednesday to requests for comment on the decision.
The ruling is yet another legal setback for Republican legislators and election-related laws they’ve passed recently.
A panel of judges on Tuesday blocked questions for two of the six constitutional amendments the legislature approved from being on the November ballot, agreeing with Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper and the state NAACP that the questions were false and misleading.
A state judge last week blocked enforcement of a law that would have prevented a state Supreme Court candidate from having his Republican affiliation next to his name on the ballot because he switched affiliations just before he filed for the seat.
Constitution Party Chairman Al Pisano called Wednesday’s ruling a victory, criticizing Republican legislative leadership for changing election laws and “wasting taxpayer dollars on needless lawsuits.”
“It’s not right for them to change the law when they feel threatened or to change it for partisan advantage after the fact,” Pisano said in a statement.
Both the Constitution Party and Green Party became official parties in North Carolina this year following passage of a new law lowering the thresholds they were required to surpass. In early June, the Constitution Party nominated 10 candidates for office by convention. None of the Green Party’s candidates were affected by the sore-loser law changes.
Related Stories
‹

Another Political Party in North Carolina OK’d for Fall; 2 Others Remain in LimboWritten by GARY D. ROBERTSON North Carolina’s elections board certified unanimously on Tuesday a right-leaning political party to field candidates this fall in the state, but again deferred final action for two organizations that collected signatures to help get Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Cornel West on the presidential ballot. The Constitution Party of North Carolina will join several […]
![]()
Ruling Essentially Ensures New Party’s Candidates Can RunA court ruling giving more time to election officials to respond to a lawsuit filed by a new North Carolina political party essentially ensures the party will have a few more candidates on November ballots. U.S. District Judge Louise Flanagan wrote Tuesday the state elections board now has until Oct. 1 to answer the lawsuit […]
![]()
N Carolina Constitution Party Recognized as Official PartyThere’s another new official political party in North Carolina that can field candidates in November’s general elections. The state elections board voted Wednesday to recognize the Constitution Party of North Carolina after group members collected more than 12,000 valid signatures from registered voters before a deadline. The Constitution Party joins the recently recognized Green Party […]

Rep. Allen Buansi Shares Details on Bill for Millionaire Tax to Fund Public SchoolsThe District 56 representative joined 97.9 The Hill to discuss the bill he's co-sponsoring to explore new ways for funding public schools.

On the Porch: Graig Meyer - NC Justice CenterThis Week:
Graig Meyer is the Executive Director of the NC Justice Center where he will continue to "prioritize decisions and policies that make our state safer, healthier, more fair, and more prosperous". Meyer brings more than a decade of leadership in the North Carolina General Assembly, where he served in the House of Representatives beginning in 2013 and most recently in the State Senate representing Orange, Person, and Caswell Counties. Throughout his legislative career, Meyer championed strong public education, access to health care, economic opportunity for working families, and policies that strengthen communities across the state. Before entering public office, Graig spent sixteen years working in North Carolina’s public schools. A trained social worker and longtime public-school advocate, Graig has focused his public service on helping families connect to the resources and opportunities they need to thrive.

On the Porch: Lisa Sorg - Data CentersThis Week:
Lisa Sorg is the North Carolina reporter for Inside Climate News. A journalist for 30 years, Sorg covers energy, climate environment and agriculture, as well as the social justice impacts of pollution and corporate malfeasance.
She has won dozens of awards for her news, public service and investigative reporting. In 2022, she received the Stokes Award from the National Press Foundation for her two-part story about the environmental damage from a former missile plant on a Black and Latinx neighborhood in Burlington. Sorg was previously an environmental investigative reporter at NC Newsline, a nonprofit media outlet based in Raleigh. She has also worked at alt-weeklies, dailies and magazines. Originally from rural Indiana, she lives in Durham, N.C.

On the Porch: Holly Lux-Sullivan - Walking You HomeThis Week:
Holly Lux-Sullivan of Heartwood Death Doula & Bereavement Care is a trusted end-of-life guide, grief counselor, and board-certified chaplain with 18 years of experience supporting people through illness. She is a respected death doula whose passion is caring for those at life’s margins, particularly during severe and terminal illness, and normalizing conversations about mortality. An ordained Unitarian Universalist minister, she serves people facing the end of life across central North Carolina. HeartwoodDeathDoula.com

'Worried For Our Future': Authors React to Removal Attempt of LGBTQ+ Books from CHCCS Elementary LibrariesNorth Carolina legislators are pushing to remove 63 LGBTQ-themed books from CHCCS elementary schools, saying they violate state law for being available in libraries.

On the Porch: Deana Joy - Child Abuse in NCThis Week:
Deana Joy has spent her career working in the nonprofit sector with victims of crime. She began by working with victims of sexual violence then, in 2006, she was promoted to Executive Director of a local Children’s Advocacy and Sexual Assault Center. In 2014, Deana began working as the CEO of Children’s Advocacy Centers of North Carolina, the state chapter for Children’s Advocacy Centers (CACs). In 2017, Deana became a national accreditation site reviewer for National Children’s Alliance, the accrediting body of Children’s Advocacy Centers. Deana currently serves as the Chair of the Children’s Justice Act for the Governor's Crime Commission and is on the NC Human Trafficking Commission, the NCDHHS Safety Design Team, the central region Citizen Review Panel, and the statewide Mass Violence Committee.

Morinaga Celebrates Completed Mebane Expansion and 'Sweet Partnership' With North Carolina, Orange CountyThe Japanese candy company Morinaga held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Tuesday to celebrate the opening of its expansion Hi-Chew plant in Mebane.
›