A U.S. appeals court on Friday vacated a key federal permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline that deals with the project’s impacts on threatened or endangered species, saying a federal agency had “lost sight of its mandate” in granting the permit.
A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals wrote that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had made decisions that were “arbitrary and capricious” in its authorization for the pipeline.
“In fast-tracking its decisions, the agency appears to have lost sight of its mandate under the (Endangered Species Act): ‘to protect and conserve endangered and threatened species and their habitats,'” the court wrote.
The decision is the latest in a series of legal setbacks for the 600-mile pipeline, the construction of which has been on hold since December. The project designed to carry natural gas from West Virginia into Virginia and North Carolina is years behind schedule, and its total cost has increased by about $2 billion.
The appeal dealt with four species: the rusty patched bumble bee; the clubshell, a mussel; the Indiana bat; and the Madison Cave isopod, a crustacean.
Last year, the court vacated the Fish and Wildlife Service’s incidental take statement, which usually authorizes a project to harm or kill no more than a limited number of threatened or endangered species.
Soon after, the agency revised its work and issued a new one, which environmental groups challenged.
The court wrote that it could not ignore that it took the agency “a mere 19 days” to issue the new incidental take statement and related biological opinion after the court’s first decision.
“In its rush to help this pipeline company, the agency failed to protect species on the brink of extinction – its most important duty. This pipeline would blast through some of the last populations of these rare animals,” said Patrick Hunter, an attorney with the Southern Environmental Law Center, which represented the environmental groups that sued.
A spokeswoman for the Fish and Wildlife Service didn’t immediately respond to inquiries from The Associated Press.
Lead developer Dominion Energy had no immediate comment but has previously defended the pipeline permitting processes as exhaustive.
Dominion, which is a partner in the pipeline along with Duke Energy and Southern Co., says the pipeline will lower energy costs and boost economic development, both through its construction and by increasing the availability of natural gas.
Opponents say the project will cause environmental harm and question the need for a massive natural gas pipeline at a time when they say climate change makes it imperative to invest in renewable energy.
Related Stories
‹

Developers Cancel Long-Delayed, $8B Atlantic Coast PipelineThe developers of the long-delayed, $8 billion Atlantic Coast Pipeline announced the cancellation of the multi-state natural gas project Sunday, citing uncertainties about costs, permitting and litigation. Despite a victory last month at the United States Supreme Court over a critical permit, Dominion Energy and Duke Energy said in a news release that “recent developments have created an unacceptable […]

Groups ask NC Regulators to Revoke 2018 Pipeline PermitEnvironmental groups that promote renewable energy want North Carolina regulators to cancel a key state water quality permit issued to build the Atlantic Coast Pipeline. Leaders of the North Carolina Climate Solutions Coalition and Friends of the Earth announced a petition Tuesday to the Department of Environmental Quality, asking that the January 2018 permit be […]

Atlantic Coast Pipeline Delayed Until 2021, Cost Up by $3BThe completion of a natural gas pipeline running through West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina has been delayed and its costs are increasing by up to $3 billion. The Fayetteville Observer reports Atlantic Coast Pipeline LLC announced Friday that the 600-mile (965-kilometer) pipeline is not expected to be in full service until 2021. It was initially expected […]
![]()
Cooper Documents Go To Lawmakers Questioning Pipeline MemoNorth Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper’s administration says it’s provided thousands of pages to Republican legislators about a $58 million side deal Cooper’s office reached with utilities planning to build a natural gas pipeline. Cooper’s office announced Thursday the electronic posting of the documents. GOP leaders sent multiple requests for information this year about last January’s […]

Feds Allow Pipeline Construction in North Carolina to ExpandFederal regulators are allowing work on the 600-mile Atlantic Coast Pipeline to expand in North Carolina. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission officials this week approved work to proceed without further steps to protect endangered species. The FERC order issued Tuesday said work could be stopped to protect the environment if ordered by a federal court. Opponents […]

Documents Reveal Immense Outreach on Atlantic Coast PipelineCivic leaders in town after town along the 600-mile (966-kilometer) route of a proposed natural gas project have posed for similar photographs, smiling and accepting poster-sized checks from the Atlantic Coast Pipeline. Dominion Energy says it’s being a good neighbor by handing out $2 million in grants of around $5,000 to $10,000 in communities affected […]

Key Legislator Wants Hearing on Cooper Pipeline PactA key Republican legislator wants the General Assembly to dig deeper into a $58 million agreement between Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s office and utilities building a natural gas pipeline in eastern North Carolina. Senate Rules Committee Chairman Bill Rabon announced Wednesday he wants the Atlantic Coast Pipeline pact discussed at the next meeting of the […]

Regulator: Pipeline Permits Have No Link to Cooper AgreementA North Carolina environmental regulator said Tuesday a separate monetary agreement reached by Gov. Roy Cooper’s office with developers of a multistate natural gas pipeline had nothing to do with her department’s decisions on key project permits. Assistant Secretary for the Environment Sheila Holman answered questions from the General Assembly’s energy policy committee about where […]

North Carolina Supreme Court Says Bars’ COVID-19 Lawsuits Can ContinueThe North Carolina Supreme Court issued favorable rulings Friday for bars and their operators in litigation seeking monetary compensation from the state for COVID-19 restrictions.

North Carolina Updates More Than 20,000 Voter Records, Seeks More ID NumbersVoter registration records for more than 20,000 people in North Carolina have been successfully amended — but 82,000+ remain incomplete.
›