After an outpouring of support, the Chelsea Theater will continue operating under new ownership.
The future of the small theater in Chapel Hill was in question when the current owner announced late last year that he would not be renewing the theater’s lease and, unless new ownership was identified, the theater located in Timberlyne Shopping Center would be closing.
That inspired some local residents to gauge community interest in keeping the theater open and possibly changing to a non-profit model. That group announced on Thursday that they had reached an agreement with the current owner to take over operations of the Chelsea effective March 30.
“We expect a seamless transition,” president of the Save the Chelsea organization Tom Henkel said in a release. “Film goers can anticipate that we will begin to introduce a few new things immediately—such as a membership program with discounts on tickets, but we plan to move deliberately and gather input from our audiences.”
The group received an overwhelmingly supportive response, Henkel said, to a community survey put out with intentions to see if there would be community interest in keeping the theater open. And the organizers parlayed that support into nearly $80,000, as of Friday afternoon. They had set a goal of raising $150,000 to cover the group’s goals for the first year of operation.
Theater leadership say that the Chelsea will continue showing “first run, independent, documentary, and specialty films” as patrons are accustomed to seeing. But they add that the theater “plans to add new offerings, such as film-related discussions, showings by area filmmakers and classic films.”
Officials from the new ownership group say they have the support of the previous owners in the new venture.
The public will have a chance to weigh in on the future of the theater at a community meeting scheduled for Sunday, March 4, from 2 – 4 p.m. at Flyleaf Books.
Related Stories
‹

Chapel Hill's Chelsea Theater Names Jamie Webb as New Executive DirectorChapel Hill’s Chelsea Theater has appointed Jamie Webb as its new executive director. Webb’s first day will be Monday, Sep. 14. Webb, originally from the United Kingdom, most recently served as Development Manager for the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival in Durham. He has worked with several other film festivals in the past, including the […]
![]()
Local Group Considering Effort to Save Chapel Hill's Chelsea TheaterLocal residents are mulling an attempt to save a Chapel Hill theater. Ownership of the Chelsea Theater in Timberlyne Shopping Center said in November that the future of the theater famous for showing independent films for nearly three decades was up in the air. “Now in the last year of our current 5 year lease, […]
![]()
Future of Chelsea Theater UncertainWith the end of the Chelsea Theater’s current five-year lease looming, the future of the Chapel Hill stalwart for independent films remains uncertain. The theater released a statement suggesting that its current owner Bruce Stone may be nearing retirement. “On November 16 we will have started our 28th year of operation. Now in the last […]
![]()
Chapel Hill: Council Look Ahead, Parks and Rec Updates, Back to SchoolChapel Hill Mayor Jess Anderson spoke with 97.9 The Hill's Andrew Stuckey on Thursday, August 20, discussing town news and events. She looked ahead to the start of school for k-12 students in the community next week. She also previewed the town council's priorities and business going into the fall. She also updated some ongoing parks and rec projects, including the reopening of the tennis courts at Cedar Falls Park, and more.
![]()
The Morning News: First Week at UNC, Fire Station #4, Hillsborough Water MainThe Hill's Andrew Stuckey fills in for Aaron Keck with the morning news. In this edition of the news we hear more about the first week of classes for the fall semester at UNC, including a clip from the opening convocation, and words from new student body president Devin Duncan. Jess Anderson shares details of the plan for Fire Station #4 in Chapel Hill, and Mark Bell explains a boil water advisory from Hillsborough Over the weekend. In sports, we learn of individual accolades for Tar Heel athletes, and more.
![]()
On Air Today: South Creek Update from Beechwood Organization President Steven DubbSteven Dubb, the Principal and President of the Beechwood Organization spoke with 97.9 The Hill's Andrew Stuckey on Tuesday, August 18. He discussed the latest news from the South Creek development in the southern portion of Chapel Hill. He talked about the importance of having homes in a lower price range than is typical for Chapel Hill, the value of having 80 acres of nature preserve as part of the development, and what future timelines are for South Creek. He also shared some upcoming milestones, and more.
![]()
The Evening News - FDOC, New Residence Halls, Football PrepThe Hill's Andrew Stuckey presents the afternoon news. Included in this edition of the news, we learn of some new residence halls that are under construction on campus. We also acknowledge the First Day of Classes (FDOC) on campus, as the fall semester gets underway. We also hear from the Chancellor on a government program for military officers coming to UNC, and more. In sports, Bill Belichick speaks on new assistant coach Bobby Petrino, and more.
![]()
The Evening News: Mark Chilton Steps Down, FDOC on Monday, Fall SportsThe Hill's Andrew Stuckey presents the afternoon news. Included in this edition of the news we learn that Register of Deeds Mark Chilton is stepping down from his position a few months early. We also hear more from UNC leadership on the First Day of Classes (FDOC) coming up on Monday, learn more about Pittsboro's new Planning Director, and hear from Hillsborough Mayor Mark Bell on that town's strategic plan. In Sports, UNC Women's Soccer opens the fall sports season with a win, and more.
![]()
The Morning News: Mark Chilton Retiring, UNC ReturningIn today's news: longtime Orange County Register of Deeds Mark Chilton announces he's stepping down, a few months before the end of his term.

Ex-Officer Accused of Plotting New Orleans Attack is Released After Grand Jury Declines to IndictA Louisiana grand jury declined to indict Christopher Gillum on a state terrorism charge that could have carried up to a 15-year sentence.
›