Former UNC Assistant Professor Indicted On Child Pornography Charges

Former UNC assistant research professor Kuo Hsiung Yang, 33, has been indicted on federal child pornography charges Tuesday, according to WRAL.

Yang was arrested in November and charged with 10 felony counts of second-degree sexual exploitation with a minor.

He was employed at UNC at the time of his arrest but the school said that he is no longer a member of the faculty, according to WRAL.

The FBI had been investigating Yang for duplicating videos of young girls being sexually assaulted, according to police reports.

http://chapelboro.com/news/crime/former-unc-assistant-professor-indicted-on-child-pornography-charges

Police Increase Patrols After LDOC

The last day of classes – or LDOC, as it’s known around UNC, was on Wednesday. That kicks off an extended weekend of revelry before final exams.

And local authorities are very well aware of the celebrations that are sure to come.

“We want people to act responsibly, drink responsibly – if you’re drinking,” Mecimore said. “We always encourage people to go out as a group and stick together as a group and take care of the people with you.”

Mecimore said that there will be an increased police presence around Chapel Hill to ensure that everyone is following the rules while celebrating the end of the academic year.

“Our Alcohol – Law Enforcement Response Team will be out for the next several days all the way through the end of the weekend doing some extra patrols,” Mecimore said. “That will mean responding to loud noise complaints and monitoring issues that relate to loud noise – frequently, loud noise and alcohol kind of go hand-in-hand.”

Mecimore said those patrols will consist of checks for underage drinking at parties and doing compliance checks at local establishments.

“That means going to bars and making sure that they’re doing what is expected of them,” he said, “going to establishments that sell alcohol for off-premise consumption like grocery stores, convenience stores.”

Mecimore said that alcohol violations are typically higher on a weekend like this, even when compared with other weekends associated with university breaks. He added that safety is the overall goal of the increased law enforcement efforts.

“We want to make sure that everybody has a good weekend, has fun,” Mecimore said. “But we want it to be done safely.”

http://chapelboro.com/news/safety/police-increase-patrols-around-ldoc

Diamond Heels Knock Off Campbell

Shortstop Logan Warmoth started off the scoring for the North Carolina Tar Heels on Wednesday night on the way to a victory over Campbell.

Warmoth’s two-run home run was followed by an RBI single from Zack Gahagan for a 3-0 UNC lead after two innings.

Carolina never trailed, eventually extending the lead to 7-0 over the Camels.

Campbell did score three runs in the sixth inning to chase UNC starting pitcher Rodney Hutchison Jr. But Brett Daniels came on in relief to put a stop to the Camels’ offensive threat.

UNC added two insurance runs and Campbell scored once in the top of the ninth for a 9-4 victory.

UNC has been struggling as of late in Atlantic Coast Conference play but has now strung together victories this week over UNC – Wilmington and Campbell. The Tar Heels are off this weekend with a break from conference play and will be back in action next Wednesday hosting Virginia Commonwealth University.

http://chapelboro.com/sports/unc-sports/diamond-heels-knock-off-campbell

5 From UNC Men’s Lacrosse on All-ACC Team

UNC men’s lacrosse placed five players on the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team announced on Wednesday.

The five selections are senior short-stick defensive midfielder Jake Matthai, senior attackman Steve Pontrello, junior close defenseman Austin Pifani, junior face-off man Stephen Kelly and junior midfielder Michael Tagliaferri.

This is the first selection to an All-ACC team for each of the five Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels knocked off No. 1 Notre Dame in Kenan Stadium last weekend to win a share of the ACC regular season title. Carolina is the top seed heading into the ACC Tournament in Kennesaw, Georgia. UNC will face fourth-seeded Syracuse in a semifinal matchup at six o’clock Friday night.

http://chapelboro.com/sports/unc-sports/5-from-unc-mens-lacrosse-on-all-acc-team

UNC Places 6 on All-ACC Women’s Lacrosse Teams

Six North Carolina Tar Heels have been named to the 2016 All-Atlantic Coast Conference women’s lacrosse teams, the league announced Wednesday.

Of the six Carolina players honored, which was the most among any ACC school, four were named to the first-team – also more than any other school.

Every level of the Tar Heel squad was represented on the first team with two attackers, senior Sammy Jo Tracy and junior Molly Hendrick, sophomore midfielder Marie McCool and senior defender Mallory Frysinger.

Senior attacker Aly Messinger and junior goalie Caylee Waters were named second-team All-Conference.

UNC, ranked third nationally, went undefeated in conference play and will enter the ACC Tournament this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia as the number one seed. The Tar Heels will face the No. 8 seed Virginia Tech at noon on Thursday in what is essentially a home game for the Hokies.

This is the second consecutive year UNC has won the ACC regular season title.

http://chapelboro.com/sports/unc-sports/unc-places-6-on-all-acc-womens-lacrosse-teams

Rumors of Target to Downtown Chapel Hill Still Just Rumors…For Now

The possibility of a Target coming to downtown Chapel Hill is still just that, a possibility, for now.

“We are very, very hopeful – and I can’t confirm or deny the rumor about the business coming there yet, we’re still hopeful we can announce that soon,” Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger said at the WCHL Community Forum on Tuesday. The rumored business would potentially occupy the retail space in the Carolina Square development on Franklin Street.

“Which will add another dynamic to downtown and provide some opportunities for people to walk and get the things they need without having to get in the car or use transit,” Hemminger added.

Hemminger also clarified that if a Target were to be located downtown it would not resemble the Super Target located in Durham. It would instead be a Metro Target, which are incorporated into downtown locations across the country.

“They actually have a pickup window too,” Hemminger said. “You can order online and walk over and pick up whatever you need. But they have grocery options. And it fits into a building like Carolina Square versus being the normal strip mall-kind of look. It’s a very different kind of model.

“I’ve been in a few in Pittsburgh and Minneapolis; they’re well-used and well-liked amenities to a downtown.”

Grocery options for residents downtown and in the surrounding communities, or rather the lack thereof, has been a continued topic of conversation for Chapel Hill leaders.

While the rumors have persisted that Target could occupy the retail space in Carolina Square, it will still be a while before anything at all is located in the new development.

Construction began earlier in 2016 after the groundbreaking in the fall of last year on the site that will be home to one 11-story and two five-story buildings with about 246 apartment units, 159,000 square feet of office space and 42,000 square feet of retail space.

Construction is expected to be completed in the summer of 2017.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/rumors-of-target-to-downtown-chapel-hill-still-just-rumors-for-now

Johnson and Paige Honored at End-of-Year Ceremony

UNC seniors Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige were both honored on Tuesday evening during the men’s basketball team end-of-year awards ceremony.

Johnson won the Dean Smith Most Valuable Player award after the forward put together one of the best seasons in UNC history. Meanwhile, guard Marcus Paige won the Defensive Player of the Year award; this marked the first time that one player won that award four times over the course of their career.

UNC was gathering to celebrate a season that saw the Tar Heels enter the year as the preseason No. 1 team in the country and eventually make a run to the national title game. Carolina had some unexpected challenges, including Paige missing the first portion of the season with a broken right hand and a shooting slump that rendered the senior lefty’s jump shot nearly unrecognizable.

Even through the shooting woes, it was clear Paige was still the leader of the team and his shooting as the season drew to a close was what both Paige and UNC fans had come to expect of him. That culminated in Paige hitting an acrobatic-double-pump three pointer to tie the national championship game against Villanova with less five seconds left in regulation. We don’t have to remind you what happened next.

Paige, from Marion, Iowa, was also the first player in UNC history to be named a permanent team captain in three seasons at Carolina. Paige also won the Tyler Zeller Award given to the team’s top scholar-athlete and the Marvin Williams Carolina Way Award for “playing hard, unselfishly and putting the team first,” on Tuesday.

Johnson, from Orangeburg, South Carolina, made a huge jump between his junior and senior seasons, becoming one of the most dominant big men in college basketball and thrusting himself into the discussion of being a lottery pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Johnson led UNC with 17 points and 10.4 rebounds per game and led the entire Atlantic Coast Conference by shooting 61.4 percent from the field. Johnson also amassed 23 double-doubles on the season on his way to becoming a consensus first-team All-American.

Johnson, Paige and Joel James are leaving the program after exhausting their eligibility. Two other members of the team that went to the national title game – Justin Jackson and Kennedy Meeks – have entered the NBA Draft but have not hired an agent, leaving open the possibility of a return to Carolina.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/johnson-and-paige-honored-at-end-of-year-ceremony

UNC Chancellor Addresses Amended Notice of Allegations

UNC Chancellor Carol Folt said the university is “pleased to have” the amended Notice of Allegations from the NCAA.

The amended allegations came in to the university on Monday morning and were released to the public later that afternoon.

Folt, speaking at the WCHL Community Forum on Tuesday, said that the university is ready to move forward.

“We feel like we’ve been doing everything that we can to work with the NCAA,” Folt said, “and I think that’s been very important for us.”

Folt added that she was pleased with the steps the university has taken and that the UNC student-athletes set a record-high APR over the past year.

“I try to remember that the students who are here have nothing to do with those allegations, so they need to feel that they’re moving forward and proud of their institution,” Folt said. “And we need to feel very proud of how we’re handling it.”

Folt also credited UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham for his guidance through this process, calling him a “very thoughtful leader” adding she had “a lot of confidence in him.”

The new Notice of Allegations still contains accusations of five Level 1 infractions, the most serious the NCAA can levy. But what has drawn the most attention is the wording of the amended NOA, specifically the lack of a mention of either the men’s basketball or football programs.

The university has 90 days to respond to the amended NOA.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/unc-chancellor-addresses-amended-notice-of-allegations

Forum Panel Discusses Notice Of Allegations

After waiting years, it had seemed like the NCAA investigation of UNC was nearly over, but the NCAA reset the clock with a new notice of allegation released Monday.

“There seems to be a general feeling of relief around Chapel Hill,” said former UNC lineman Mike Ingersoll. “I feel that same sense of relief because for the past six years now, myself and the rest of teammates have had to defend our degrees.”

Many have interpreted it as a positive for the university because the focus has seemed to shift away from men’s basketball and football.

Neither program is directly mentioned in the new notice, which alleges former UNC women’s basketball athletic academic counselor Jan Boxill provided impermissible academic assistance.

Orange county commissioner and sportswriter Barry Jacobs said the outcome of the notice isn’t surprising.

“On the other hand I thought it was disappointing because there are plenty of places, whether in the Wainstein Report or other places where it’s pretty clear that a competitive advantage was gained by keeping players eligible by steering players to certain classes,” Jacobs said.

But Unverified director Bradley Bethel expressed his disagreement with Jacobs.

“What’s clear to one person is often really the picture they’ve painted in their mind,” Bethel said. “It’s not clear to me at all what Barry said that there was all of these examples of competitive advantage and what not.”

The university is also accused of not sufficiently monitoring the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes in the formerly-known African and Afro-American Studies department from the fall of 2005 through the summer of 2011.

UNC professor Deborah Stroman said even before the Waintstein Report was commissioned, the university implemented over 70 changes to ensure another academic scandal would not happen.

“The faculty is very very mixed on this,” she said. “I know there are some faculty members who are disappointed they’re viewed as people who aren’t doing their job. Having someone come and look in your room to see whether you’re teaching your class is very disturbing and quite frankly disrespectful to us.”

But Stroman said there are also professors who don’t mind the changes because they know it will prevent another scandal.

 

UNC has 90 days to respond to the allegations.

While no timetable has been given for the conclusion of the investigation, it could extend into next year.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/forum-panel-discusses-notice-of-allegations

While Amended NOA Differs from Original, Significant Charges Remain

There were a few words missing from the amended Notice of Allegations that UNC received on Monday from the NCAA when comparing it to the original notice, most notably “men’s basketball” and “football.”

The new 12-page document that was released on Monday afternoon differs in places from the 55-page notice the university originally received in May 2015. The procedure leading to any NCAA decision was put on hold in August when the university self-reported additional violations.

After an eight-month wait, the new document has restarted the process to reach the finish line in the long-running scandal.

While men’s basketball and football aren’t mentioned in the amended Notice of Allegations, UNC is still facing five Level 1 infractions, the most serious the NCAA can levy.

UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham called these allegations “very significant” adding the university takes them “very seriously.”

“We’re working as hard as we can to secure a fair outcome for Carolina,” Cunningham told reporters in a teleconference on Monday.

 

Listen to the full audio from Bubba Cunningham’s teleconference below:

 

Cunningham clarified that the amended NOA replaces the original notice and is not an add-on document.

Cunningham said speculating on potential sanctions is something he “can not do.”

He added that the extent of the investigation is likely what led to the length of time it took for the NCAA to respond to the university’s self-reported violations.

“This may be the most complicated, involved case in history – certainly in our history,” Cunningham said. “And there has been a lot of reporting, there’s been a lot of investigations, multiple investigations. And the NCAA is now completing their work by issuing the amended notice.

“But it’s voluminous in nature, and it’s over an extended period of time. I think the volume and the time is probably why it has lasted this long.”

Cunningham said while the university awaits any potential sanctions from the NCAA, he thinks the university has already suffered in some ways due to the length of the investigation.

“I do think that the length of time that the investigations – both the internal investigations that we’ve conducted as a university [and] the external reviews and investigations that have been done – have been taxing and draining on the institution,” Cunningham said.

The amended notice alleges former UNC women’s basketball athletic academic counselor Jan Boxill “knowingly provided extra benefits in the form of impermissible academic assistance and special arrangements to women’s basketball student-athletes.”

UNC is also accused of not sufficiently monitoring the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes in the formerly-known African and Afro-American Studies department from the fall of 2005 through the summer of 2011. This allegation makes a reference to student-athletes in general but contains no specific accusation toward men’s basketball or football, a significant change from the original notice.

The other charges are in connection with Deborah Crowder and Julius Nyang’oro not cooperating with the NCAA investigation and a charge of Lack of Institutional Control.

When asked why men’s basketball and football weren’t mentioned in the revised notice, Cunningham said that was a question for the NCAA.

Cunningham said he expects the university to use nearly the full 90 days before responding to the notice. Cunningham said if the university decides to self-impose any sanctions, it will most likely come during the window to respond to the NCAA.

Still, the timeline for a resolution to the case could easily linger into 2017.

Deborah Stroman is a professor at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School and a regular sports commentator. She spoke with WCHL’s Aaron Keck on Monday following the release of the ANOA.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/amended-noa-differs-original-significant-charges-remain