The NCAA has granted additional eligibility for a North Carolina player who missed most of the 2016 season amid charges of sexual battery and assault on a female student.
Those misdemeanor charges were dismissed and attorney Kerry Sutton told The Associated Press on Thursday that the NCAA granted an appeal this week allowing Allen Artis to play the 2018 season. The senior reserve safety must sit two games because he played in two games in 2016 before being indefinitely suspended following his arrest on the charges brought by the student.
Artis had said they had consensual sex during in February 2016 and denied wrongdoing . Charges were dismissed in June and UNC reinstated Artis to the team about a week later.
NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn confirmed the decision to the AP but declined further comment.
“We asked the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee to restore Allen Artis’ 2016 season of competition, and the committee has done so,” UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement to the AP.
Sutton said Artis — who had 11 tackles in 12 games last year — graduated last weekend in Chapel Hill and has been accepted into UNC’s Master of Accounting program.
“UNC made the decision to suspend Allen based on the information they had at the time,” Sutton said in a statement. “Unfortunately, and as we now know, some of the information they based their decision on was untrue.”
According to an arrest warrant, Artis had sex with the student against her will when he should have known she was “mentally incapacitated and physically helpless.”
The student, Delaney Robinson, held a September 2016 news conference with her attorney, saying she had filed for the misdemeanor charges after police and prosecutors indicated there wasn’t enough evidence to pursue felony charges.
Artis’ attorneys have said UNC determined he didn’t violate campus policy in his contact with the student, while a misconduct decision could have led to his expulsion. Attorneys were preparing to go to trial in July before Orange County district attorney Jim Woodall dismissed the misdemeanor charges because “the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the parties.”
Robinson’s attorney said at the time that they had worked “diligently at mediation” to reach a confidential resolution.
“I keep saying this,” Sutton said in her statement, “but every win we’ve gotten for Allen, at UNC, in court and now at the NCAA, feels like the best moment of my career.”
Related Stories
‹

NCAA Cancels Fall Championships as Major Football Marches OnThe NCAA called off fall championship events — a move Thursday that does not affect major college football — because not enough schools will be competing in sports such as men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball during the first semester. NCAA President Mark Emmert made the announcement in a video posted on Twitter, but it […]
![]()
Counting The Real Cost Of A ChampionshipIn college football, a successful Signing Day is only step one. What does it really take to win a championship?
![]()
Stroman On Sports: A Big Week For CarolinaIt's a good time to be a sports fan here, with UNC football and basketball and the Carolina Panthers all excelling...
![]()
Stroman On Sports: Bowls Galore!Is the college football world suffering from too many bowls? Does it even matter?
![]()
Earth to Art Chansky: It Wasn't About the WomenEditor’s note: Art Chansky’s Sports Notebook on July 14th was about UNC Coach Sylvia Hatchell. Chansky followed with a longer Art’s Angle on the subject of Coach Hatchell on July 15th. The commentary below is from Mary Willingham and Jay Smith of paperclassinc.com, and was published to their blog on July 16th, but only in response to […]
![]()
NCAA Finished With AFAM InvestigationThe NCAA tells North Carolina athletic officials that it isn't considering additional charges connected to academic fraud in the university's African studies department.

UNC Football's Upcoming Home-and-Home Series With South Carolina CancelledThe UNC football program’s upcoming home-and-home series against South Carolina has been cancelled. The Tar Heels were scheduled to visit Columbia in 2028 and host the Gamecocks in Chapel Hill in 2029. In a brief release, UNC said the expanded conference schedules in both the SEC and ACC, which will see schools play nine league […]

UNC Teases Kenan Stadium Enhancements as Venue Prepares to Celebrate 100 YearsThe 2026 UNC football season will be the 100th in which the Tar Heels have called Kenan Stadium home, and the program is prepared to celebrate the historic venue with several upgrades and enhancements this fall. Two new video boards will be installed above each end zone, with both measuring 31.5 feet high by 106.5 […]

Chansky's Notebook: Draft Dodgers?Bill Belichick and Michael Malone have found themselves in the same undesirable dilemma: neither has any draft picks.

'I Can Do This For a Long Time': Bobby Petrino Excited for New Challenge With UNC FootballLet’s get one thing out of the way first: UNC’s new offensive coordinator is known for more than just being a football coach. Ask Atlanta Falcons fans about Bobby Petrino’s antics. Or the folks in Louisville. Or Arkansas. The paper trail that follows Petrino everywhere he goes is long, and it bends toward absurdity. Egregiously […]
›