Durham District Attorney Roger Echols announced at a Tuesday afternoon press conference that he was dropping all charges against the remaining individuals charged with bringing down a Confederate monument in front of the old Durham County Courthouse last summer.
The announcement came after a judge dismissed charges against two defendants after a trial on Monday and found a third defendant not guilty.
The same judge would be presiding over the additional five trials that were yet to come.
Echols said on Tuesday that the state had presented all the evidence that it had and that the evidence in future trials would mirror that which was presented on Monday. He added this would also apply to the one individual who had previously entered a guilty plea as part of a plea deal.
Some of the protesters were initially charged with felony counts associated with pulling down the monument. Echols previously announced he would be dropping those counts because he did not feel the evidence supported the felony charges.
Photo via Associated Press/Jonathan Drew
Related Stories
‹
![]()
Confederate Statue Toppling Cases Start with a DismissalProblems identifying protesters on video hindered North Carolina prosecutors on Monday as they sought to hold demonstrators responsible for toppling a Confederate statue last summer. A judge dismissed the criminal cases against the first two defendants to appear in a series of individual trials, and he found a third not guilty. Trials for five others […]
![]()
The Morning News: VinFast, Binkley Baptist, UNC BasketballIn today's news: local officials take action against the EV maker VinFast, and UNC men's basketball adds a preseason exhibition against USC.

North Carolina Energy Company Accused of Fraud Files for BankruptcyAmerican Efficient, a Durham-based energy efficiency business facing more than $1 billion in federal fines and repayments for allegedly manipulating electricity markets, has filed for bankruptcy protection.

'I Miss You. Behave, And I'll Be Back Soon': Live and Local with Otis Ghost!Otis Ghost stopped by Live & Local this week, still celebrating the release of last year's EP "I Miss You. Behave, And I'll Be Back Soon."

Local Government Meetings: June 15-19, 2026This week in local government: a proposed AI moratorium in Durham and a board appointment (maybe) in Chatham County.

Local Government Meetings: June 1-5, 2026This week in local government: budget decisions for Orange County, Carrboro, and Durham, and the final vote on a CHCCS school closure.

Photo Gallery: Roy Cooper 'Make Stuff Cost Less' Rally in DurhamFormer North Carolina governor Roy Cooper and his U.S. Senate campaign swung through Durham on Thursday and held a rally for supporters.

North Carolina’s Electoral Future May Hinge on Rural Black Voters Who Feel Ignored by DemocratsRoughly 4 in 10 Black voters in North Carolina’s last presidential election said they live in small towns or rural communities.

Local Government Meetings: February 9-13, 2025This week in local government: residents in Chatham County push back against Flock license-plate cameras and AI data centers.

Local Government Meetings: February 2-6, 2026This week in local government: Durham considers the RTP's long-term development plans, and Carrboro gets an update on its comprehensive plan.
›