WCHL and Chapelboro, along with UNC Health Care and UNC Wellness Centers, are helping 64 challengers on their journey to an active and healthy lifestyle. Participants receive a free six-week membership at UNC Wellness Centers, along with group coaching, progress monitoring, and access to health education programs. At the end of the challenge, the 1st place male and female participants will each win a one-year membership to UNC Wellness Centers!
Did you miss the finale? Watch a recap here!
Our 2016 Healthiest You Challenge kicked off on Tuesday, March 1. Click here to see photos from the event, including photos of the teams, coaches and sponsors, and check out the live broadcast that we did that night:
Matt Bonds, coach of the Chapel Hill Gymnastics Team, came by on March 2nd to talk with Aaron about getting his team started!
Matt Bonds, coach of the Chapel Hill Gymnastics Team, was joined by Camille Berry, a challenger from A Better Image Printing team, to talk with Aaron on March 9th about how the first weeks of the challenge have been going.
Liz Watt, coach of the UNC Wellness Centers team, came in on March 16th to catch us up on how things are going as we get into Week Three of the Challenge!
Nicole Budd from the Better Image Printing Team sent this Healthiest You update:
After two kids and multiple moves for my husband’s medical school and now residency programs, I was finally ready to make 2016 the year of ME! I didn’t know what I was going to do, but I was going to focus some of my energy on making “me” better – physically, mentally, emotionally…
Denise Qualls-Allen from the Durham Orange County Medical Society Team sent this Healthiest You update:
I must tell you that I am having a wonderful time with this “life changing journey.” This wellness challenge was the “spark” that I needed to get my “Get Healthy Zeal and Fire started.” Sometimes you say to yourself, “I’ll start soon, or I’ll start over Monday.”
Head coach of the Elite Auto Body Team, Kevin Minogue, came in to chat with Aaron on March 23rd to help kick off Week Four of the Challenge!
Elizabeth Flake is in the front row on the left.
Elizabeth Flake of the Chapel Hill Gymnastics Team shares an update called ‘Butter to Better: My Journey in Healthier Eating’
I’m starting to figure out this whole “diet” thing. You get so sick of eating healthy food that you’d rather eat nothing than waste even minimal calories on some Brussels sprouts if it saves you from suffering through another bite…
Hannah Mitchell, head coach of the Town of Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Team, came by on March 3oth to catch Aaron up as we get into Week Five.
On April 6th Darragh Davis caught up with Aaron Keck on how the challenge has been going for the Durham Orange County Medical Society Team as Week Six of the challenge is underway.
Check out our photo galleries for more Healthiest You fun!
Barry Tomlinson of the Durham Orange County Medical Society Team was able to come by talk to Aaron about the end of the challenge on April 13th.
See photos from the Healthiest You Finale!
Healthiest You Winners
Overall, the entire Healthiest You group:
lost 359.4 pounds
lost 547.67 inches
systolic blood pressure went down 478 points
diastolic blood pressure went down 303 points
participants earned 14,527 points
- 1st Place Female – Amy Sangvai with 484.2 points
- 2nd Place Female – Denise Qualls-Allen with 367.8 points
- 1st Place Male – Barry Tomlinson with 431.4 points
- 2nd Place Male – Kevin Corbin with 324.4 points
The winning team was the A Better Image Printing Team with 2474.2 points.
Listen to the entire broadcast here
Thank you sponsors!!!
Jamy McGee and Susan Chesser from the UNC Wellness Centers came by to talk with Ron and Aaron to get sign-ups for the challenge going back in January and February (registration ended on February 12th).
Jamy McGee with Aaron Keck on January 21st:
Susan Chesser with Ron Stutts on February 10th:
How it Works:
• Registration was open from January 14 until February 12
• We randomly select 64 people to participate in the six week program
• The 64 participants are broken into eight teams of eight
• Each team is assigned a Coach and an Assistant Coach from the UNC Wellness Centers
• Each participant receives a free membership to the UNC Wellness Centers for a six week period – and work with their assigned coaches to learn and implement new strategies for becoming a Healthier You
• Each participant has the opportunity to earn points for activities such as attending workshops, team work out sessions and trying new activities
• At the end of six weeks, the two individuals that have accumulated the most points will each win a one-year membership to the UNC Wellness Centers.
• 2 points for every 0.5 inch circumference decrease
• 1 point for every 0.5 pounds lost
• 1 point for every 5 points of systolic blood pressure decrease
• 1 point for every 1 point of diastolic blood pressure decrease
• 5 points for attending weekly Team weigh-in and workout
• 2 points for every Fitness Clinic attended (Max 2 points per week)
• 2 points for working out with a buddy (Max 14 points per week)
• 1 point per day for logging food onto www.myfitnesspal.com or on daily log sheet
• 1 point per day for logging exercise onto www.myfitnesspal.com or daily log
• 10 points for attending each of the Health Education classes
Meal Planning and Label Reading
The Power of Walking
• 20 points for 100% completed Healthiest You Challenge Bingo Card