Still shopping for that someone special? If so, you’re not alone. Here are some stylish suggestions both specific and generic for you and yours this holiday season. While I always advocate shopping locally, some of these picks will take you to online websites where you might find a list of local retailers who carry their merchandise. Hopefully you will find some gift giving inspiration for yourself or other hard-to-shop-for folks on your list.
1) Chunky Sweater Sleeve Shrug – Unique and chic. And talk about versatile…wear it on your wedding day or to the farmer’s market! $135 from New Form Perspective www.nfpstudio.com
See pictures below of Local Buzz Columnist Susan Reda at the farmer’s market and her daughter Sydnor Elkins on her wedding day in California.
2) Fire Hose Work Pants from Duluth Trading Company – We all have an outdoorsman on our list who either romps in the great outdoors, tinkers in his shop or stomps around in briar patches and needs a rugged pair of pants. Duluth Trading Company has got these guys covered (literally) with their Fire Hose Work Pants. Yes, they are actually made of sturdy yet soft fire hose cotton canvas. Novel idea! Check out their creative website with clever videos. www.duluthtrading.com $59.50 and up.
3) Stamp Watches – Santa delivered a Stamp watch to me last year and it’s been a functional arm candy favorite. A variety of stylish and artsy interchangeable postage stamp shaped faces click into place on a leather band in the color of your choice. I have one band and two faces…a polka dot and a leopard print. The mix and match possibilities are endless. Basic leather band starts at $23 and stamp faces at $27. Visit www.stampswatches.com
Details at University Mall also carries a plethora of unique and fun watches.
4) Cashmere Scarf – A soft simple statement that’s both classic and cozy. Scarves and wraps make great holiday gifts for anyone on your list. This men’s Carolina blue cashmere scarf is from O’Neill’s Clothing store at University Mall.
5) Premium Denim – Every man needs a pair in his wardrobe. (Ladies, we already know you have about a dozen pair in your closet.) We’re talking about higher quality produced denim in fabric, fit and finish. AG, Genetic, Joe’s Jeans, Mavi, Seven for All Mankind…these are just a few of the many premium denim brands on the market. A pair of soft dark-wash fitted premium denim will take any man in your life to another level. Last year my step-dad, Gary Lopp, received a pair of dark wash Joe’s Jeans from yours truly. When he pairs them with a hip button down shirt, a blazer and loafers he looks like a million bucks. Any major department store or specialty boutique should carry a few lines. There is also a Joe’s Jeans outlet in Mebane at the Tanger outlets. Technically anything over $50 is considered premium denim, but realistically you’re looking at $100-200 (and worth it!). You’ll find lower prices at outlets like Nordstrom’s Rack. Best dressed holiday attire spotted at a restaurant last night. (See picture below of Cameron and Sutton.) Sutton has on a favorite men’s look of mine….crushed velvet blazer in cranberry, crisp button down shirt, pair of premium denim, leather belt and loafers.
6) Faux Fur – It’s not just for your next ski vacation. A huge trend this year, fur is embellishing everything from coats and vests to dresses, boots and hats. When I say you can find faux fur everywhere I mean it….from a reversible vest at Costco (for the cost conscious) to a dress with fur trimmed sleeves at Chapel Hill boutique Fabrik (under $100). And faux is much more affordable than its authentic counterpart. Pat Lopp models reversible faux fur vest below.
7) North Carolina Necklace – How about showing your state some love with an enamel North Carolina necklace? The heart in the middle marks the capital. By Ginna Earl at Vespertine Cafe in downtown Carrboro. $48
Thanks to fellow Local Buzz Columnist Susan Reda for her stylish ideas and photos!
Whether you prefer the bustle of the mall or the peace and quiet of your laptop…happy shopping! And celebrate the season in style!
These are a few of my favorite things this shopping season. Share your holiday wish list below.