Before the interview
- Go by office before the interview and pay attention to what people are wearing.
- For an office environment wear a suit and blouse combination. Cotton blends work well in the summer and wool blends in the winter.
- Have your suit and blouse professional dry cleaned. It does make a difference! Try them on before the interview. You will feel more confident when you are not concerned with how your clothes look.
- Bring an extra copy of your resume and make sure you have reviewed your work history and can speak knowledgably about it.
The day of the interview
- Brush your teeth or chew minty gum before the interview. Make sure to get rid of gum before the interview.
- Look your interviewer in the eye when you meet. It conveys trust.
- Smile. A smile conveys that you are friendly and open, two important good qualities.
- Extend your hand. Shake hands with the same pressure it takes to indent a toothpaste tube.
- Be prepared to engage in small talk. Ask who, what, where, how and why questions about the other person. Example, “Where are you from originally?”
- Relax and be confident! Remember you are a very special person worthy of this job and many others.