Over the past eight years, Blanket Orange County has collected and delivered 1,878 blankets to:
- The Community House (homeless shelter for men)
- Family Violence Prevention Center
- The Freedom House Recovery Center
- Homestart (shelter for homeless women and children)
- The Maggie Alvis Halfway House
- Neighbor House of Hillsborough
- Orange House
- Oxford House
- Ronald McDonald House.
- SECU Family House
- Animal Shelter
- Chapel Hill Police Department – for trauma victims
- Families whose homes burned down
- Individual senior citizens
- Individuals who live in outdoor camps
This year, the goal is to collect an additional 300 new and gently used blankets for the IFC.
Offering their time, space and energy by serving as official drop off locations for blankets this year are:
- Mark Sherburne at the Aloft Hotel
- Greg Lee and Dorothy Gunn at Chapel Hill – Carrboro YMCA
- Meg Branson at the Chapel Hill Carrboro Chamber of Commerce
- Karen Tomko, owner of H2Only Cleaners on Elliott road and in Southern Village
- Laura Paolicelli and team at Orange County Visitor’s Bureau
- Mike Martinho at UNC Wellness Center
- Chris Derby, owner of the UPS Stores in Meadowmont and on 15-501
In addition, for the fourth year in a row, Rosemary Waldorf is assisting with with PR, Community Outreach, plus pick up and delivery of blankets.
For the second year, Susan Reda is helping with marketing and PR, plus blanket pick up and delivery.
Also assisting with blanket pick up and delivery this year are:
- Farley Bernholz
- Gayle Claris
- Kim Solomon
A wonderful demonstration of generosity by these people and their businesses – all working together to help Blanket Orange County.
If you would like to help, drop off a new or gently used blanket at one of the drop off locations listed above by Sunday December 9.
Twin/single bed sizes preferred.