UNC AD Expressed Doubt In ACC
CHAPEL HILL – UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham told a concerned UNC supporter in an email that “keeping the ACC strong is our number one choice.”
The News and Observer reported Thursday that emails from the AD showed doubt in the ACC. Cunningham told the supporter “we are looking at all options.”
In another email conversation, Cunningham told former UNC tennis player and assistant tennis coach who is currently a financial adviser from Athens, Georgia that it really concerns him whether or not the ACC will be able to continue to compete financially. Their correspondence included conversation about how the SEC currently pays $20 million per team and could get up to $35 million per team after the next TV contract is negotiated.
The N&O made the records requests in February for emails and other documents regarding Maryland’s departure from the ACC.
Cunningham continued to express his concern earlier this week he’s “concerned about the disparity in revenues of various conferences.” The SEC has announced it will launch the SEC Television Network in August 2014. Cunningham is a member of the ACC’s TV subcommittee; the group is reportedly also looking into a similar channel, a possible revenue producer.