No. 1 UNC Shuts Out The Citadel
CHAPEL HILL – The Citadel Bulldogs didn’t have to wait long in Wednesday night’s game at Boshamer Stadium to see why UNC is the top-ranked baseball team in the nation. In the bottom of the second, Colin Moran unleashed a grand slam to right field to put the Heels on top of the Bulldogs, 6-0.
PJ Hairston threw the opening pitch of the game, warming up the mound for Hobbs Johnson who, in five innings, allowed just two hits and pitched a season-high nine strikeouts for the Tar Heels.
Sophomore Michael Russell helped tack on another run for Carolina in the fifth inning with an RBI single to send Brian Holberton home.
Russell’s bat was hot again in the bottom of the seventh when he unloaded a three-run homer to left field to give UNC a ten-nothing lead over The Citadel.
The Tar Heels added three more runs in the eighth inning while neglecting to allow The Citadel to score. The Tar Heels won their eighth shutout of the season 13-0.
With the win, Carolina improves to 42-4 overall, still 19-3 in the ACC, while The Citadel falls to 27-19 overall, and remains 14-7 in the SoCon.
The Tar Heels will get a brief break for exams before they suit up on Tuesday, May 7th to take on James Madison at 6 pm in Chapel Hill.Did you see something wrong in this story, or something missing? Let us know
Leave a Comment
- State DENR On NC Coal Ash Spill: “Taking A Holistic Look” At Environmental Impacts
- UNC UNC Best Buddies Gears Up For “Spread The Word To End The Word”
- Election OC Register of Deeds Brooks on Gay Marriage Licenses: ‘I Cannot Do That’
- News Phillips Middle School Students Win 1st-Place Award in Lexus Eco Challenge
- Crime Late-Night Hit And Run Injures Five In CH
- Safety OC EMS Opens Temporary Shelter At Stanford Middle School
- Safety OC Sheriff’s Office Searches For Missing Man
- Weather Closings, Cancellations, and Delays – Updated 3/7 10:00 a.m.
- Local Government CHTC Likely To Delay Vote On Ephesus-Fordham Redevelopment Plan
- Local Government CHCCS Teachers Reject State-Mandated Contract Changes, Ask Board For Support
- High School Hunt Boys’ Basketball Upsets Orange In NCHSAA East Regional Title Game
- High School CHHS Girls’ Basketball Sneaks Into State Final Next Saturday
- Featured Duke Women’s First Defeat Of UNC This Season Comes In ACC Semis
- Featured No. 4 Duke Defends Home Court, Snaps No. 14 Carolina’s 12-Game Streak
- Hoop it Up with The Heels Sweet Revenge! Tar Heels Scrape By Terps, Meet Duke In ACC Semis
- High School CHHS Girls, OHS Boys Seek Regional Basketball Titles Saturday
- Hoop it Up with The Heels Carolina-Duke: Round Two at Cameron Indoor
- UNC UNC Women’s Basketball Survives And Advances, Def. WFU, 69-65
- High School CHHS Girls’ Basketball Cruises To Regional Final
- Hoop it Up with The Heels Carolina’s Paige, McAdoo & McDonald Reloading For Duke Finale, Postseson