No. 1 UNC Shuts Out The Citadel
CHAPEL HILL – The Citadel Bulldogs didn’t have to wait long in Wednesday night’s game at Boshamer Stadium to see why UNC is the top-ranked baseball team in the nation. In the bottom of the second, Colin Moran unleashed a grand slam to right field to put the Heels on top of the Bulldogs, 6-0.
PJ Hairston threw the opening pitch of the game, warming up the mound for Hobbs Johnson who, in five innings, allowed just two hits and pitched a season-high nine strikeouts for the Tar Heels.
Sophomore Michael Russell helped tack on another run for Carolina in the fifth inning with an RBI single to send Brian Holberton home.
Russell’s bat was hot again in the bottom of the seventh when he unloaded a three-run homer to left field to give UNC a ten-nothing lead over The Citadel.
The Tar Heels added three more runs in the eighth inning while neglecting to allow The Citadel to score. The Tar Heels won their eighth shutout of the season 13-0.
With the win, Carolina improves to 42-4 overall, still 19-3 in the ACC, while The Citadel falls to 27-19 overall, and remains 14-7 in the SoCon.
The Tar Heels will get a brief break for exams before they suit up on Tuesday, May 7th to take on James Madison at 6 pm in Chapel Hill.Did you see something wrong in this story, or something missing? Let us know
Leave a Comment
- Featured CHCCS Seeks Boost From BoCC For School Renovations
- Weather Weather To Warm Sunday
- Local Government Smaller Gifted Ed Budget Cuts Still Draw Fire From CHCCS Parents
- State Government NC Gas Prices Continue To Climb For Easter Weekend
- Non-Profit Ronald McDonald House Of CH Gears Up Expansion Project Groundbreaking
- Development Hillsborough Wastewater Treatment Plant $19.8 Million Upgrades To Be Unveiled
- Election Listen To The 2014 Orange County Democratic Party Sheriff Forum
- UNC “Mary Willingham’s Credibility Is Collapsing”
- Election OC Sheriff Candidates Stake Their Claims As Primary Nears
- Local Government CHTC Postpones Vote on Ephesus-Fordham Plan
- Featured Tennessee A Done Deal For DeShields
- UNC DeShields Following Friend To Tennessee?
- ACC Duke’s Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood Declare For NBA Draft
- UNC Coach Mike Fox Says Tar Heels Will ‘Go Strap It On And See What Happens’ Versus No. 1 Cavaliers
- UNC Top UNC Women’s Basketball Freshman To Transfer
- UNC Diamond Heels Escape Phoenix With Ninth-Inning Rally
- UNC No. 3 Carolina Women’s Tennis Soaring With Freshman Jamie Loeb
- UNC DBAP Duel Postponed, Tar Heels Host Phoenix Wednesday
- UNC The 2014 Rammys Celebration Fused Athletic Excellence With Old Fashioned Fun
- UNC Carolina Collides With NC State In Duel At The DBAP