No. 1 UNC Shuts Out The Citadel
CHAPEL HILL – The Citadel Bulldogs didn’t have to wait long in Wednesday night’s game at Boshamer Stadium to see why UNC is the top-ranked baseball team in the nation. In the bottom of the second, Colin Moran unleashed a grand slam to right field to put the Heels on top of the Bulldogs, 6-0.
PJ Hairston threw the opening pitch of the game, warming up the mound for Hobbs Johnson who, in five innings, allowed just two hits and pitched a season-high nine strikeouts for the Tar Heels.
Sophomore Michael Russell helped tack on another run for Carolina in the fifth inning with an RBI single to send Brian Holberton home.
Russell’s bat was hot again in the bottom of the seventh when he unloaded a three-run homer to left field to give UNC a ten-nothing lead over The Citadel.
The Tar Heels added three more runs in the eighth inning while neglecting to allow The Citadel to score. The Tar Heels won their eighth shutout of the season 13-0.
With the win, Carolina improves to 42-4 overall, still 19-3 in the ACC, while The Citadel falls to 27-19 overall, and remains 14-7 in the SoCon.
The Tar Heels will get a brief break for exams before they suit up on Tuesday, May 7th to take on James Madison at 6 pm in Chapel Hill.Did you see something wrong in this story, or something missing? Let us know
Leave a Comment
- Development Carrboro Aldermen Consider Drug Store Drive-Throughs
- News Around Town Homeownership, Scholarship, Taxes And Snow Days
- Development Consultant Recommendations Calms Some Residents’ Worries About “Chatham Park”
- Development Construction On UMall Luxury Cinema To Begin In April; Open By ’15
- State Republican Senate Primary Tied In NC; Tillis’ Numbers Drop
- Safety All Orange County Power Outages Expected to End Wednesday
- News Around Town OC Sheriff Searching For Missing 60-Year-Old Man
- Local Government CHTC Eyes Town Funding For Affordable Rental Housing Plan
- News Around Town Schools Closings and Power Outages
- State DENR On NC Coal Ash Spill: “Taking A Holistic Look” At Environmental Impacts
- UNC Carolina Routs George Mason, Gardner Webb On Deck
- UNC Serving Up A Storm: Carolina Tennis, A Force To Be Reckoned With
- Huddle Up With The Heels Sensational Switzer Confident in Second College Football Act
- UNC Carolina Baseball Faces George Mason Tuesday Test
- High School CHHS Girls Welcome Hickory To The Hill For State Basketball Title Game
- Hoop it Up with The Heels Paige, McAdoo, DeShields Get All-ACC Honors While Tar Heel Men, Women Holding Steady in Latest Polls
- UNC Tar Heel Baseball Gains 2-1 ACC Series Win Over Panthers
- High School Hunt Boys’ Basketball Upsets Orange In NCHSAA East Regional Title Game
- High School CHHS Girls’ Basketball Sneaks Into State Final Next Saturday
- Hoop it Up with The Heels Duke Women’s First Defeat Of UNC This Season Comes In ACC Semis