CHAPEL HILL – The UNC Board of Trustees appointed new members to the serve on the UNC Board of Visitors, an active volunteer group at the University. The new members come from alumni and friends who will participate in a 175-member board that actively assists the Chancellor and Board of Trustees with activities ranging from marketing and recruiting to fundraising.
Members of the Board of Visitors also serve as ambassadors between the school and their communities informing both about what is going on. The members serve four-year terms, and every year as members rotate off, new ones are elected. This year, Patty Hill and William Moore of Chapel Hill have been selected to serve on the Board of Visitors from the Orange County area. Beginning July 1, the members will take their spot on the Board chaired by Dr. Michael Zollicoffer of Baltimore.
- Richard Wallace Gunn Jr. of Burlington
- Brian McMerty of Winnabow
- Billy Lee Price Jr. of Hickory
- Antonio Braithwaite of Durham
- Henry Kaestner of Durham
- Christine Cecchetti Mumma of Durham
- John Robert Mattocks of New Bern
- Ancrum Boykin Newman of Winston-Salem
- William D. Spry Jr. of Winston-Salem
- Brian David Bailey of Charlotte
- David Charles Belton of Charlotte
- Irvin W. Hankins III of Charlotte
- E. Hooper Hardison of Charlotte
- Frank H. Hill of Charlotte
- Jane McColl Lockwood of Charlotte
- Malcolm Logan of Charlotte
- John Branch Stedman Jr. of Charlotte
- Sharon Nicholson Harrell of Pinehurst
- Margaret G. Diab of Wilmington
- Carol E. F. Malloy of Wilmington
- Melanie Floyd Biese of Chapel Hill
- Leonard J. Buck of Chapel Hill
- Lori Ireland of Chapel Hill
- John Peter Preyer of Chapel Hill
- Henry Lewis Smith of Farmville
- W. Britton Cobb Jr. of Raleigh
- Christopher Thomas Hayes of Raleigh
- Charles Foster Marshall III of Raleigh
- Randall W. Williams of Raleigh
- Mary Brent Smith Wright of Raleigh
- Robert William Kadlec Jr. of Manhattan Beach
- John Lacy Kennedy of Riverside
- Philip Flayderman Blumberg of Coral Gables
- Michael Steven Brown of Atlanta
- C. Knox Massey III of Atlanta
- Charles H. Mercer III of Atlanta
- Arthur Jay Schwartz of Atlanta
- Polly W. Surhoff of Cockeysville
- Sarah Robbins Mars of Boston
- Karl Franklin Brumback of New York
- Sanford Alonza Cockrell III of New York
- Nikhil Mittal of New York
- F. Daniel Batten III of Charleston
- H. Alexander Winters II of Charleston
- Robert E. Thackston of Dallas
- N. Thompson Long of Fox Pointe
Thursday, the Carolina Kids Classic celebrates its 25th anniversary of the CKC golf tournament. Since its inception in 1988, the Carolina Kids Classic has raised more than three million dollars to benefit the Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill and the North Carolina Children’s Hospital. Proceeds from the Golf Tournament go towards helping these programs.
The Golf tournament takes place at Finely Golf Course with top-name participants including: UNC Basketball coach Roy Williams, UNC Football Coach Larry Fedora, Former UNC basketball star Phil Ford, Co-founder of CKC Woody Durham, and a 14-year old patient from the N.C Children’s Hospital.
For more information on the Tournament contact Danielle Bates at email@example.com, or for more information on the Ronald McDonald House visit www.rmh-chapelhill.org and NC Children’s Hospital visit www.ncchildrenshospital.org.
Deputy Fire Chief Matt Lawrence has received an award for Outstanding Leadership from North Carolina Safe Kids. Chief Lawrence served as the Orange Chapter of Safe Kids Chairperson and worked to improve the program in the area. He kept the coalition between the fire department and Safe Kids going while also coordinating the first Orange County Summer Safety Event.
Chief Lawrence dedicated much of his career to improving safety for all citizens and is honored by this award for his work and effort. Safe Kids Worldwide is a global organization dedicated to preventing injuries to children, the number one killer of kids.
For more information on Safe Kids visit www.safekids.org.