OC Commissioners Nearing Decision On Naming Next County Manager
The Orange County Board of Commissioners is nearing a decision on naming a new county manager.
Barry Jacobs, Chair of the County Commissioners, said the Board will not make an official announcement within the next week, but that they “are on the interstate and can see the exit up ahead.”
“Before we could announce anything, we will have to negotiate a contract, and there are a lot of things that go into it before one would make an announcement. We haven’t even decided completely on the final steps in the process,” Jacobs said.
The Board will hold two closed sessions next week, one on Monday at the Franklin Hotel and another Tuesday at the Siena Hotel.
The purpose of the closed meetings are “to consider the qualifications, competence, performance, character, fitness, conditions of appointment, or conditions of initial employment of an individual public officer or employee or prospective public officer or employee,” according to North Carolina law.
The Board has been searching for a permanent county manager since last year when Frank Clifton, who had been in the position since 2009, announced in June that he would step down in September.
Michael Talbert was named interim Orange County Manager. He had previously served as the assistant County Manager since 2011.
Talbert told WCHL News in September that he didn’t plan to apply for permanent position.Did you see something wrong in this story, or something missing? Let us know