BCBSNC To Extend Some Cancelled Health Care Plans
CHAPEL HILL- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina announced Friday that it will work with the N.C. Department of Insurance to allow some consumers to retain enrollment in health care plans previously slated for termination.
The plans identified for cancellation do not meet the standards for insurance under the Affordable Care Act, but President Barack Obama on Thursday announced a policy change that would allow insurers to offer the plans for another year.
The N.C. Department of Insurance will review and approve the rates for the extended policies. Brad Wilson, President and CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield, said more information should be available to customers at the beginning of December.
Statewide, more than 473,000 residents have received notice that their plans will be terminated. Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin said his staff is working to help all affected policyholders take advantage of the extension.