Headaches are, sadly, fairly common occurrences for most people. Generally, we take an aspirin or ibuprofen and it goes away. But when is it time to seek treatment for a headache?
Plan a visit to your doctor if:
- your headaches require you to take pain medication frequently or in high doses
- your headaches are getting progressively worse over time
- your headache prevents you from performing your usual daily activities
Go to the emergency room immediately if:
- your headaches are accompanied by seizures, weakness, blurred vision, difficulty with speech or other neurological problems
- you feel acute, severe pain, particularly with sudden onset
- your headache is accompanied by severe nausea
- your headache is the result or an injury, such as a car crash or fall
For more information, check out the National Headache Foundation at headaches.org.
You can follow Everybody Needs A Nurse on Twitter @ENANurse1