Headaches: When It's Time To See The Doctor
Headaches are, sadly, fairly common occurrences for most people. Generally, we take an aspirin or ibuprofen and it goes away. But when is it time to seek treatment for a headache?
Plan a visit to your doctor if:
- your headaches require you to take pain medication frequently or in high doses
- your headaches are getting progressively worse over time
- your headache prevents you from performing your usual daily activities
Go to the emergency room immediately if:
- your headaches are accompanied by seizures, weakness, blurred vision, difficulty with speech or other neurological problems
- you feel acute, severe pain, particularly with sudden onset
- your headache is accompanied by severe nausea
- your headache is the result or an injury, such as a car crash or fall
For more information, check out the National Headache Foundation at headaches.org.
You can follow Everybody Needs A Nurse on Twitter @ENANurse1